In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trimming cases

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I would like to find an easy way to trim 9x19 cases to 9x18. Iknow that the bullet diameters differ but after the trimming, loading & fire forming that they work well. I've done it. I did about a hundred before by hand and it is just too time consuming and new or used comercial brass is just plain expensive. a millimeter doesn't sound like much but that's trimming 100mm of brass per 100 casings.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    We trimmed some 41mag down to 41spl size by putting a cutoff wheel in the drill press and setting the table to the length we wanted.
    Doing 9mm to 9X19 might be a little hard on the fingers. I guess you could use pliers.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    There are many powered case trimmers on the market that would would. Price would depend oh how fast you want to do it. Dillion makes one that is about $500 but is super fast. RCBS makes a good one that is pretty quick and runs about $200. There are some hand held type trimmers for under $50 that you use with your drill.

There are several in between.
  • Options
    cactus-mancactus-man Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the RCBS Pro Trim around 70 dollars. Remove the handle and put on a cordless drill. Works for me.
  • Options
    fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Quickest, cheapest and simplest one in my opinion is a Lee cutter and lock stud with a case length gauge and shell holder. You can get everything for around 18.00. Stick the Lock stud in a drill and go to war on the cases. Ive got an RCBS trimmer, but I usually use the Lee cutter and lock stud Its just too quick and easy.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all for the advice. Since I have a really smart daughter going to Michigan State next, I decided to go with the Lee cutter, lock stud with a case length gauge and shell holder. With postage, it was either $15 or $16 direct from Lee Precision. I have a couple of other Lee products for years nad they do seem to hold up well.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I'll just toss out there... there is a 9.2X19 wildcat that is a 9mm luger run through a 9X18 die set so you can use the brass as is. Use 9mm Mak load data.

But the investment in getting it done is not worth it unless you can do it yourself. I've thought of trying it just for the heck of it.

Otherwise the Lee trimmer works fine, I've done a bunch that way myself.