In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which wad?

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
I am wondering which wad I need to load 7/8 oz loads in my 28 ga. I am shooting AA HS hulls. According to data, I must use AA HS wads, but they recommend 3/4 oz loads in the 28. I have bought 28 ga factory loadings with 1 oz loads. What do you suppose they use for wads? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Go to: www.trapshooters.com

Look under: 28Ga. 1 Oz. load

I remember reading about trapshooters trying to make a 1 Oz. load for 28 ga.

I had thought only loads were 1 oz. #6 for hunting, but I guess there are other uses.

7/8 oz. - you can cut back the pedals of plastic to create more room for the shot, or try Gualandi TUWG4128 wad.

Best of luck
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This may be stretching my memory a bit, but I think both the 7/8 oz and 1oz loadings in 28 gage only came in paper cases. The 1 oz load was available from Peters and was in a three inch case. (No longer available) I don't recall ever seeing a 7/8 loading in a plastic case. Factory loadings came with paper and felt wads with no air between wads and shot.
  • Options
    hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Currently, Winchester markets field loads in 1 oz 28 guage loads in their new HS hull. I would like to duplicate the load, except I want to use copper plated shot.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Buy the Winchester, slice one down the case, measure and duplicate.

Or, carefully open the crimp (may require a razor), dump the lead, load with copper. You will find that you will not get a full 1 oz. of copper in the load.
    Found old data (I knew I had it somewhere).
    This is for a Remington hull, but should be close.
    20.0 grs. SR4756, 1 Winchester card .080"+ 1 Winchester 1/4" molded fiber, 1 oz. lead, 9,500LUP.

Or: 34.0 grs. IMR4227, 1 Alcon 1/4" felton-bluestreak wad, 1 oz. lead, 9,900 LUP

Or: (from old Mec info) 31.0 grs IMR4227, any 1/4" thick wad base, 1 oz. lead = 2.5 drams

Hope this helps
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the bigger picture, I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
    The only thing I see going for you is the selection of copper plated shot. (good choice!) What you stand to gain in better shot is likely to go away with the inefficient shot load. (shot column is too long)
    Better to keep the velocity up and the shot string short. My 2 cents worth, but what would I know?