In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Being brand specific when reloading by the book

glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
when reloading using one of the reloading manuals and they call for a remington 9 1/2 primer can you use a winchester large rifle primer or CCI large rifle primer in its place? I heard that changing primers changes pressures, but I don't know if that is true.

Comments

• Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    The primer will change the pressures.

However, unless you are loading at the top end it should be OK. The point is to be consistent if you expect accuracy. Once you find what works for your gun, stay with it. I do not recommend having a box of 20 rounds with three different primers, you never know what you've got.

Best of luck
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I change brands or type of primer, I start the load development over again. *, perhaps! But I haven't blown anything up yet, either.
  • Options
    MtnloverMtnlover Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Totally agree with first 2 posters. Once changed primers (only) on a good-shooting 22-250 from CCI to Federal Bench Rest and groups blew up badly. Clearly due to my picky rifle as Federal has a great rep for premium components. Find the brand your rifle likes and stick with it.
  • Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bear in mind too that the information in the reloading manual is only a guide. You probably won't be using the exact same rifle/barrel combo they used in their load developement. Primers all perform the same function but pressures do change with the choice of components. That's why a prudent reloader will always work up a load starting from the somewhere near the bottom of the published loads.