In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WW 230 P powder

RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
I cant seem to find much data for using the Winchester 230 P powder,is it by chance the same as 231 ? Anybody have data for it ?

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have it listed in a 1974 Speer manual. Data seems to be close to Bullseye.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks,Now im looking for a Speer Manual.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you loading? I have a shelf full of old manuals - and a half can of W230P!

For those who have never seen any, W230P is the most unusual-looking powder I've seen yet. It looks a lot like shredded aluminum foil. VERY strange stuff.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rocky,It will probley just be 38 spl. and 45 Acp .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay. Hornady Vol II (1973) shows W230 in the 38 Special with 158 JHP bullets with a start charge of 4.2 (750 fps) to 5.0 (900 fps). Both are only one tenth grain heavier than loads for Bullseye, giving the same speeds. That would indicate a burn rate nearly identical to Bullseye.

In 45 ACP, they list only 185-grain jacketed bullets. Loads start at 4.7 (700 fps) through 6.2 (1000 fps!). Again, these are very near Bullseye charges giving the same speeds.

For my own use, I use Bullseye data for 230P, always beginning with Start charges and usually not going all the way to maximums, just to be sure. I've loaded it in five or six cartridges with no ill effects noted to date. When it's gone I won't miss it, though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rocky,I know it dont flow good but why wont you miss it ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Because there are about 35 powders that do the same thing better (including 231) without the problems that caused WW to discontinue 230 in the first place - whatever those were.