In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What to do?

dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
right now i am using 2 dillon square deal b for my pistol loads,1 set for 45acp the other for 357.for my rifle press i am using a lee turret press.i guess my question is should i sell all 3 and buy a 550 or 650? or should i buy a better dedicated rifle press? looking for opinions thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I know I need to read before I buy but what to read? I searched and only came up with the ABC's of reloading, sounds like a good start. Will this give me the information on what I need to purchase? I plan on reloading pistol and rifle rounds, can this be accomplished with the same equipment? .40s&w / .45acp and .223 / .30-06 I know its a lot of ?s but I dont want to buy a Lee 1000 if it doesnt fit the bill.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee 1000 will not cut it for the rifle cartridges.Read some reloading manuals.Lee Lyman and most others cover the procedure. You will need these anyway. Start with a good single stage press (kit). Even if you buy several progressives later you will still use the single stage. A good starter kit can be had for under 100.00 and a really great kit can be 250.00 or so. There will be odds and ends you can acquire as you need em. These will be necessary with whatever you go with.
    Check out the "show us your benches" thread and look past all the fancy BS and you'll usually see the same basic loading setup we all started out on.
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=351951
  • Options
    csteinhcsteinh Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Metallic cartridges like all of the cartridges on your list can be loaded on the same equipment with different die setups for each cartridge. I recommend that you get a single stage press as a starter setup. A metallic reloader like the Lee 1000 will do the job that you want but, until you really understand the process, has the ability to turn out lots of flawed, perhaps dangerous, ammunition. The difference between a single stage press and a progressive press is strictly the volume of cartridges that you can produce in a given time. The quality of the load is almost identical. Unless you are really shooting a great deal, the extra speed of reloading provided by a progressive press is not needed. Once you are very comfortable with the reloading process, then moving to a progressive is a simple matter. The reloading dies that you use with the single stage press will normally work in the progressive press. (Some progressive presses use unique dies but many use standard dies). Consequently, when you are ready to advance to a progressive, you are not losing any of your investment. Many of us use a single stage press to develop a load and then produce the volume of cartridges we want with either a single stage or a progressive. I normally load all of my rifle cartridges and many of my pistol cartridges with one of my single stage presses. I only use my progressive press for .45 ACP since that is the only pistol that I tend to shoot larger volumes of cartridges at a given time.

The ABC's of Reloading is a good book. I also like the Lyman Reloading Handbook. Good luck with your entry into another facet of our hobby.

Cort
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are new to reloading, I strongly - make that emphatically - recommend against a progressive press. Progressives are great for churning out piles of ammo, but they are NOT teaching machines. To LEARN reloading, get a single stage press.

As for reading, may I humbly suggest you begin with my short piece called Reloading 101 at http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Reloading 101.htm

After that, get the Lyman manual and read the entire first half. Twice. Only then should you think about buying hardware. All the major companies make good equipment that will still be in 100% shape when your great grandchildren inherit it. You can get started cheapest with Lee gear, and RCBS is the benchmark standard. Both are fine (and the Lee Classic Cast press may even be better than RCBS!)

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Handle Yankers!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great read Rocky.
    I figured I would need a sinlge stage or a kit to get started.
    Are dies and presses brand interchangeable?
    Hornady dies/RCBS press? Or should I be brand loyal?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    If you are new to reloading, I strongly - make that emphatically - recommend against a progressive press. Progressives are great for churning out piles of ammo, but they are NOT teaching machines. To LEARN reloading, get a single stage press.

As for reading, may I humbly suggest you begin with my short piece called Reloading 101 at http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Reloading 101.htm

After that, get the Lyman manual and read the entire first half. Twice. Only then should you think about buying hardware. All the major companies make good equipment that will still be in 100% shape when your great grandchildren inherit it. You can get started cheapest with Lee gear, and RCBS is the benchmark standard. Both are fine (and the Lee Classic Cast press may even be better than RCBS!)

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Handle Yankers!

Rocky Raab speaks with wisdom. As you become more familiar with reloading don't shy away from good used equipment either. Dies are hard to wear out, so are preses. If the equipment has not been stored in a dank basement and is all rusty, it is probably is good condition.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most presses and dies use a 7/8-14 thread. Dillon has a couple of presses (out of their entire line) that use proparity threads, but that's about it for items made in the last 30 years or so.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the advice and books mentioned are great. You can go to http://www.midwayusa.com/ and read reviews of kits before you decide what you want to buy. As for as brand loyality, as long as the threads are the same, which most are, then different brand dies will work just fine in a different brand press. I read 3 books before I loaded my first round. I still reread different parts of them at different times. I started out with a Lee single stage kit a bit over a year ago and have been happy with it so far. I have "reloaders elbow" right now as I was busy today. Rounded out the necks of 1000 unfired IMI 308's today that I picked up last year. Not used to doing that much at one time. And I'm picking up a 45 before long so I'll be busy pulling on the handle even more then. I hope I don't need a progressive for that as I don't have room for one.
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Dillon 550B. It will load several different rifle AND Pistol loads. And with their quick change set ups changeing calibers is fast and easy. It will should handle all the ones you mentioned.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I'm honored.

Yes, dies and presses are almost completely interchangeable. Shellholders are another matter, but we'll discuss that after you have begun gathering stuff.

I currently load for about 16 cartridges, and have dies from virtually every major maker and some companies that no longer exist. They all fit my RCBS Junior press. That mid-size press is the only one I've ever owned, and I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds of ammo on it for more than 30 years now. I started with my Dad's gear more than 50 years ago, and have read millions of pages of matter about reloading. I STILL read every scrap I can find, and I still learn new things about it.

I describe reloading as a procedure that you can learn in a hour but never master in a century. You will ALWAYS discover new ideas, new theories and new tricks no matter how long you do this.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was a good read there Rocky. I was too lazy to read it last night when I posted my reply. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my Lee kit, but I'm becoming a Hornady fan. Seems like if Lee doesn't make it, I end up with Hornady stuff. I just thought I would throw this out there for you. Right now if you buy a Hornady kit, I think you get 500 free bullets. So you can figure the cost of bullets into the kit. You do have to pay a bit for shipping and handling.
    https://www.hornady.com/get_loaded.php
  • Options
    fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of great info. here and step by step procedures and practices With Pictures (great for a guy like me)
    Good Luck!! be safe and have fun learning.

http://www.gswagner.com/bigreloading/reloadingindex.html