In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

primers

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
I am a newbie to reloading so please do not laugh. I am going to reload for a 45 auto and a 380 auto. I plan on using Winchester primers. Large pistol for the 45 Auto? Small pistol for the 380 Auto? mttrapper[:)]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i'm on the hunt for hulls that take a #57 and/or #157 primer. i can use 12/20/28/410 ga hulls
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just curious, if I do not have the exact primers that are called for in the recipe is it ok to use something different? Cases, same question? What if used Winchester cases instead of Nosler, FC, Remington, etc?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi; I'm new to reloading, and need an answer.
    I have a new LEE turret press, and i insert a new primer on the up stroke, after punching out the old primer. The manuals i read say not to touch the primers. My question is, How do I put the primer into the primer insertion piece without using my fingers? Thanks; Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I spilled some large rifle primers on my bench, but there was some large pistol primers on the bench too, they look the same, how can I tell them apart. or what is the difference? many thanks, joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is it all right to use cci magnum large rifle primers in my 300 weather magnum.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me what's the deal with the primer shortage?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    are federals better then winchester for handguns?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How much difference is there in brands of primers? I haven't been re-loading long and used mainly WSP and some CCI. With the lighter loads I use, I find that CCI seems to leave my gun much dirtier than WSP.
    If I try a different brand, should I load a few and chrono them for comparison?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am beginning to reload 40S&W. One of my manuals list winchester WSP primers and another list CCI 500 small pistol primers. I am loading 165 grns FMJ over power pistol powder. I want to know what is the different in the two primers and are they interchangable. Thank for any information.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok now guys i see all kinds of primers some have numbers behind them so do not like the rem small rifle primer 6-1/2 or 7-1/2 is there a chart somewere to see what the different primers fit what like 222 223 243 small and large rifles primers pistol primers would be a good tool to have on hand thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some magnum primers,never used them before.Whats the difference with them,I know they are more powerfull but when are they used and what sort of loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got a hold of a bunch of small pistol primers but they are for magnum loads. Can I still use them for standard laods and just adjust my powder or is there a danger i dont know about?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Widener's has Wolf Small Rifle Mag primers for those with fast fingers that need em. Large pistol too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how do you determine what primer to use??? Some say to use a small pistol primer for the 22 hornet. Why Not a small rifle primer??? I dont know and Iam just learning. I have all the newest reloading manuals from speer and hornady vol.7 but they dont tell you how to derive at a specific primer like they do powders or am I just not reading far enough.You guys seem to know your stuff and have helped me in the past. Thank you Oakie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there a chart with primer charger rates?

as to which is more powerful in comparison
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Is a chevy better than a ford?

They both go bang.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer depends completely on what you mean by "better."
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In reality; no. In the past some cases accepted the Winchester a bit easier but I have not noticed the difference in newer batches of primers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey thx "bpost1958". ive dealt with cci primers and there alittle harder to prime with on the dillon for some reason. so i went to winchesters and they do work fine. but the dealer that i buy them from was having trouble getting primers period. but he said he had some federals. so thats why i posted this question about the federals`. thx again. now back to you junk or jonk, ive reloaded for sometime now and have been on here for different opinions and advice for the last few years and during that time i`ve never come across a smart--s like u. so if they want to kick me off of here because of what i just said to u thats ok. sounds like you`ve been around and know it all. so thank-ya for your "intelligent" reply.
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federals seem to be a little softer than cci and winchester. They work great in handguns.Don't recommend then for semi-auto rifles.
  • Options
    GTRiemGTRiem Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    huh???,i was gonna say buy what they got on the shelf,my local shop here dont have much to choose from-chevy or fords...glad i didnt though or else i might get a "time out".i must be a smart---- tooooo!
    i can here it in droopy dog voice...."oh spike that makes me sooo mad"
    keep up the great help guys i can take the humor as intented
    GTR
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lest you think my reply was also "smartazz" allow me to assure you it was not.

"Better" primer can mean many things: fit, cost, softness, brisance, dimensions, availability, or even looks. If "better" includes performance, does it mean more velocity, more consistent velocity, better cold-weather ignition, lower SD, lower spread, or such esoteric parameters as gas volume, flame temperature, flame duration, particulate inclusion, lead content, erosive ash content, pH, sensitivity, common or basic formulation and more.

So. What do you mean by "better?"
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    GTRiemGTRiem Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im just stirring this guys kool-ade,half his post was bustin jonks b__ls.i found it a funny read.
    i know ive posted questions on forums that sounded well thought out in my head but didnt convey well in "type" and you take a sarcastic answer when it happens.all in fun i think.
    [:)]GTR
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well bud, for me... as long as it works and works well with the reloading
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been useing Winchester for quite sometime and haven't had a problem. Having said that, The last batch I loaded with my Dillon 550B, I kept having mis-feeds with my primers. Some of them were even coming out upside down. About a a dozen of them so far. And yes, I am sure they didn't go in the primer tube wrong. I'm kind of baffled by it.

Any ideas ??
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    45LONG. Did you try replacing the primer tube orfice? I had that issue when mine was wearing down. Dillon will replace for free if you didn't already know that.

I use both Federal and Winchester and I like them both. I use mostly Winchester as they are easier to find. The Federal primers are a little softer and work better if you have a gun that the hammer strike may be lighter on.
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Behaven,,,Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. I will look at it and see if I have a replacement for it. If not I will contact Dillon.