In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

full length resizing vs neck resizing

shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
Whats the advantage of doing one or the other? It seems to me that you can get away with only neck sizing after you have formed the case to your chamber. Is this the correct way of thinking?

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    neck sizing doesn't work the case body and shoulder since it only is sizing the neck. This greatly extends case life and makes case-head seperations far less likely.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Yes you are correct. But even when you shot them in the same gun with just neck sizing it will eventually get to the point where you will need to full length size them.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Neck sizing is great for bolt action guns; turnbolts I mean. Also fine for break open single shots assuming you have strong arms.

For semi autos, straight pull bolt actions, and lever actions though, you lack the camming action to easily seat the loaded round once it gets 'tight' in fitting the chamber.

I keep a set of both dies on hand. I neck size for the bolt guns, maybe every 10 reloads or so full length.

As mentioned, once fireformed, that case will only fit the gun it was fired in reliably. It MIGHT fit another but don't count on it, w/o full length sizing.