In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

use of sabots for 30-06

MilfordMilford Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I have used factory Reminton Accelerator with 55 grain bullets before and was not to impressed. I have found an outlet for sabots and would like to know if the 90 grain bukket will do better than the 55 grain that Remington sells. The rifle that I use is a Reminton pump 760. Has any one tryed to hand load these sabots?

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not that bullet, but years ago I did load workups for a company making the sabots. I gave up in complete frustration after burning up a good pile of components. I could not reliably keep hits on a 2x4-foot piece of cardboard - even at 25 yards. Wild sabots dinged my chronograph several times, and that was the last straw.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Milford
    I have used factory Reminton Accelerator with 55 grain bullets before and was not to impressed. I have found an outlet for sabots and would like to know if the 90 grain bukket will do better than the 55 grain that Remington sells. The rifle that I use is a Reminton pump 760. Has any one tryed to hand load these sabots?

90 grains is close in weight to the 110grn 30 carbine type bullet - if you are looking for a reduced load, or a really fast load, maybe using those instead of the sabots would do better for you...
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Milford,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

I guess we can assume that you're referring to a 90 gr. .224 bullet? If yes, then the only three that I'm aware of are the 90 gr. Sierra Match King, the 90 gr. JLK VLD and the Berger 90 gr. Match Target VLD.

Of these three bullets, the Berger requires the slowest twist rate of 1:7" while Sierra states a required 1:6.5" if fired at .223 Rem. velocities. I have managed to get them to stabilize with a 1:8" twist but at much higher velocities.

I think the Remington M760 has a 1:10" twist, so I think you might run into a problem with this combination being stable.

Best.
  • MilfordMilford Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Milford,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

I guess we can assume that you're referring to a 90 gr. .224 bullet? If yes, then the only three that I'm aware of are the 90 gr. Sierra Match King, the 90 gr. JLK VLD and the Berger 90 gr. Match Target VLD.

Of these three bullets, the Berger requires the slowest twist rate of 1:7" while Sierra states a required 1:6.5" if fired at .223 Rem. velocities. I have managed to get them to stabilize with a 1:8" twist but at much higher velocities.

I think the Remington M760 has a 1:10" twist, so I think you might run into a problem with this combination being stable.

Best.

Thanks for the info.