In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taper Crimp Question

flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm still gathering things for 45 ACP loading and came up with another question. I know to use a taper crimp but do the cases all have to be the same length? I'm just loading plinking ammo. If all the cases are between the trim to and max length can I just crimp away with the same setting for the die regaurdless of the case length and still get safe ammo? I've never loaded handgun ammo before. Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure everyone won't agree, but for practice ammo, and using a taper crimp, I don't think you'll have any problem as long as your cases are within the min/max parameters.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The great thing about a taper crimp die is it is very forgiving as to different case length. I have tested 1000's of rounds of 45 match ammo to determine what is the best use of my time when it comes to loading ammo. I like to use cases that have the same wall thickness so you get near the same bullet pull .but found it is awaste of time to trim to same length. I like thicker cases such as WCC match or W.W. . as this works better with the sizing die that I now use in one of my star loaders when I use 200 grain Star swaged bullets that I size to .452. . this give me about.002 smaller case mouth then say 3/8 of an inch below the case mouth in other words .471 at the bullet driving band area and .469 at the mouth . When I load 230 grain Ball ammo these bullets normally run .450- .451. so I use a .001 smaller sizing die in my other star machine and adjust for the same .002 taper past what is the case size at the driving bands. You also want to check with the barrel out of the pistol to see if your loaded round will fully chamber under it's own weight with the base about .005-.010 inside of flush with the end of the barrel hood.