In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

anyone know a load for 223 with a 45 grn bullet and IMR 4198 powder for 3600 fps?

Comments

• Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    as stated before in my other posts, I am starting to reload 223. Whats a good powder and primers size to use? I have a lee turret press and I know to use CCI primers. I plan on placing a order and getting some primers and powders along with bullets if I can find them in stock.
  • Options
    wsm 325wsm 325 Member Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use benchmark with remington 7 1/2 benchrest primers in my new england single shot.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I will definitely recommend Benchmark also but I light mine with a federal 205 for my Rem 700
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The friendly little 223 is omnivorous. There's hardly a powder between 4198 and 4895 that it won't digest quite happily. I've long standardized on 50-gr bullets as being about the optimum balance of velocity, energy, wind drift and drop. I always use standard-strength primers in cases this small, and I really like the CCI BR-4 in it. The regular CCI 400 is indistinguishable, really. I just like that little BR stamp on the fancy ones!

If you want big smiles, try Ramshot TAC. Measures like water, burns exceptionally clean, needs almost no cleaning afterwards and is both fast and accurate. Cheaper than most powders, too. What's not to like?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    BIG ALBIG AL Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More matches have been won with H322. I used Benchmark switched over to H322 and a smaller group.
  • Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BIG AL
    More matches have been won with H322. I used Benchmark switched over to H322 and a smaller group.

H322 powder?
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, H322 powder. Damn good in the .223.

I used to have two standardized loads. If a new gun didn't shoot one or the other, it went away quick because it likely wouldn't shoot anything at all. The loads? WW brass, CCI BR-4 primers and a 50 VMax bullet. The extruded powder charge was 24.0 H322, and the ball powder charge was 27.0 W748. Neither is maximum, but both are humdingers.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I am using 27 gains of 748 behind a 55 grain bullet. It shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards out of my Remington 760, it don't get much better than that.
  • Options
    MilfordMilford Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used imr 4227 in both T/C and Savage bolt gun which produced very tight groups. I used the loading data for Hogdens maual as there was very little date for reloading the Thompson Center pistol but but the load listed worked well in both pistol and long gun.