In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shotgun Loads

1970shooter1970shooter Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
Hope I'm posting in the right area...

What is a recommended load for a mossberg 500 shooting at a trap range? I need a fairly light load that will put as tight a pattern as possible. I bought some Federal Ultra Lite loads hoping they will work; haven't tried them yet. My wife and some female friends will be shooting my gun and I also want them to have as little recoil as possible, at first.

Thanks.

Comments

• PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using a couple different reloading manual loads with 1 oz. of shot in one-piece cup wads in the 12 gauge at 1100 fps for trap for a couple years. There are several combinations available; all seem to work well. Reoil is noticeably, substantially lighter than standard trap loads of 1-1/8 oz at 1200 fps. The birds break reliably if I'm on, and don't if I'm not, the same as the standard loads. They seem to pattern at least as tightly as standard trap loads, as demonstrated by pattern board, and they'll smoke the birds when centered. They still will function reliably in my Beretta gas-operated trap shotgun; even in my fixed-breech "older model" Browning BT-99, which is noted as a hard-kicking shotgun, they are pleasant to shoot. If there is a difference in the amount of required lead, I haven't been able to notice anything different, and it must be negligible. I shoot 16 yards only, no handicap, that could be a different story.
  • 270cowboy270cowboy Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want factory ammo my suggestion is Winchester AA trap loads
    If you want to reload my suggestion go to www.alliantpowder.com
    I USE RED DOT AND UNIQUE powder for trap loads to goose loads.
    As far as a" tight Pattern" that depends on the choke of the barrel and the distance of the shot.AS far as a reccomended load for a mossberg,it does not matter of the make ,just the gauge and the
    shot wieght. more shot= more powder=smore "kick"
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    If purchasing, look at the "dram" amount. 2-3/4 is normally standard, but some 1 or 1-1/8 oz. loads come with a 3 dram load. Stay as low as possible for the shot weight you wish to shoot.