In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pet Brass?Any preferences

one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
I have saved my cases from every trip to the range for years but I've recently acquired new guns in calibers that I've not shot much. I'm setting up to reload so rather than pay retail for ammo to get the brass I want to start from scratch. Is winchester brass superior? I ask because it seems the most expensive-paying for the name? I will be loading pistol for .380,9mm, .40S&W, 45acp in pistol and .222, .223, .243, 25-06, .270, 30/30, 7.65 Mauser, and probably a few magnum rifle calibers before long. I am skeptical by nature and am not interested in once fired brass from an unknown source. Are their any places that sell large bulk(1-2,000 count)that are good?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to reloading! Superior brass is subjective. You need to define "superior" from your point of view to better help you out.

For benchrest shooting Lapua is considered the best, followed by Norma. For pistol, Remington tends to be a bit thinner, but that dos not mean weaker.

It all depends on what you plan on doing with each caliber/rifle you are reloading for.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    For what its worth, I find that for military guns (suggested by your 7.65 Mauser) exact brand of brass doesn't much matter. At the VERY best they are going to be reliably 1.5 MOA guns. Yes you might shoot some groups better but I've yet to find one that will do better than that shot after shot.

That being the case, the last tweak of accuracy from prime brass like Lapua probably isn't going to be an issue. Far more important is to use brass of the same brand (or if you feel like weighing, the same weight, even if different brands) that's properly prepared and loaded.

For everyday shooting from any gun this will be true.

I've not seen an advantage accuracy wise from Winchester over Remington, Federal, etc.

For pistol, for plinking I shoot a mix of all brands. If I were ever really shooting one seriously I'd sort by brand.

One source not to overlook is surplus military brass. Some of the brass used by various militaries is quite good. It should be fine for your .223 needs. I even use surplus 30-06 brass, trimmed, sized, and neck reamed for my 7.65 Mausers- though I don't know as I'd bother to do so again when my current stock wears out, now that Grafs has decent price proper brass.

Depends on what brass you want. You can get a lot of bulk brass right here on the auction sight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Jonk, Grafs? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, www.grafs.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just checked; they are out of stock on the reasonably priced brass. They do have the Norma in stock though, and while expensive it IS good stuff. They also have loaded ammo in stock for $15/box, quite reasonable.

Note for handloading the nominal bore diameter of the 7.65 is .313. No one offers a bullet in this diameter but a .312 hornady usually does just fine. Or if you have a good bore you can shoot cast lead out of it.

Meaning, .308 bullets probably won't hit much.