In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 25-20 ss

snowy1snowy1 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
Help..........I just bought a really nice Remington model 2 sporter rifle cambered in the obsolete 25-20 ss cartridge. My situation is that even though I have located a set of dies and slug molds and brass I do not have a clue about what load to use!!!! Any data or perhaps a reference manual or maybe someone else has reloaded this round and would share the data. I REALLY would appreciate any help I can get.....Thanks.....Snowy1

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Bill,
    These are from an old Pacific manual from 1970.
    Maximum case lenth......1.330"
    Maximum OAL.............1.592"
    Primer..............small rifle

60grain Jacketed bullet
    Recommened load....... Maximum loads
    Unique 5.0gr........... 6.0gr...............................
    2400 9.0gr................. 11.0gr
    H110 8.4gr 9.5gr
    4198 13.0gr 15.0gr
    86grain Jacketed Bullet
    Unique 4.5gr 5.5gr
    2400 7.0gr 9.0gr
    h110 7.0gr 8.0gr
    4198 10.5gr 13.0gr
    Best velocity for the 60gr bullet is 2100fps with 4198, and for the 86gr it's 1505 with Unique. These are with the max loads.
    Hope this helps, happy shooting.
    W.D.
    ps, I hope you can figure this out, i had a hell of a strugle with the spacing.[:(]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First make sure what you have. The .25-20 Single Shot and the .25-20 Winchester are two completely different cartridges. If you just look up .25-20 you'll find a good amount of data, but it's all for the much more common Winchester version.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking at my Belding & Mull loading book, It seems that the load data for the 25-20 SS and the 25-20 Repeater are the same. (tenth of a grain here and there but that's all)
  • Options
    25wcf25wcf Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is some information from Complete Guide To Reloading by Philip B. Sharpe:

25-20SSdata.jpg

25-20SSreloaddata.jpg
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be very cautious if you decide to use any of that data. Today's primers are much more powerful, and the two still-existing powders in that list are also hotter than when those loads were crafted. The gun hasn't magically gotten stronger, either.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fill the case with 3F blackpowder and lilghtly compress the charge. These guns were made for black and it is impossible to overload it with black powder. Just be sure to clean with hot soap and water immediately after you are finised.