In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Storing ammo

one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
What is the shelf life of ammo? I guess factory and handloaded ammo would have no difference. But if I were looking to put up some ammo long term what is the best way and how long is it viable for? Is it neccessary to or beneficial to seal ammo in a food saver type vacuum pack?

Comments

• Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enemies of ammo:

1. Moisture (any)

2. Oils (especially near primer)

3. Corrosives( bleach acids, bases)

4. Democrats

Store them in ammo cans (or vaccum seals) with a little moisture absorber that come with just about every product from shoes to computer equipment.

Otherwise modern ammo will last for 4-5 decades without any issues even if you store it on the shelf next your Kool-aid.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've shot properly stored ammo over 100 years old, no issues. I shoot 70 year old ammo on a fairly regular basis. Old surplus 8mm mauser.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one2hutn,

If you are doing the reloading for storage, I would use the military method of prep. Seal the primers and seal the bullet in the case neck. Then put it in a sealed container with desiccant. Usually the desiccant has to be replaced periodically.

If you're not reloading you're stuck with whatever you find. I like the sealers as it removes the air which contains moisture. Plastic will eventually leak air no matter what the manufacturers say. Otherwise, use good ammo cans with seals on them.

Best.
  • Options
    grady mitchellgrady mitchell Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kept in cool dry place sealed in a ammo can 100 years or longer i have some 8mm head stamped 1888 that shoots like new an other rounds also thats 100+
  • Options
    one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all;that's the ticket. I will be reloading after a few more acquisitions and sealing the primers and case necks is something I like. Yet another reason to reload my own.