In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

resizing issue

shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
I started to resize some .25-06 brass. When I do I get a bulge of about .002" about 3/8" above the bass of the brass. What the heck is going on to cause that?

Comments

• RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this an actual bulge, or just lower limit of what your sizing die is contacting? I'd check the inside of the case for possible weakening at the top of the web area (easily done with a piece of stiff wire bent at the end to probe for an inner ridge. If the inside of the case seems fine and if brass chambers easily, you may not have a problem. Has the brass been fired in the same rifle prior to sizing? If so, I'd only size it enough to ensure easy chambering and sizing of the neck for the length of the bullet portion it will be expected to hang onto. More than that and you're just working the brass more than needed and possibly messing with headspace.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it could be the sizing die. if these are once fired cases . A normal die will burnish the case as it sizes it but this will show up more as a polished area along the side of case not a bulge
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its an actually bulge, very recognizable with the eyes and fingers

These are once fired Remington, cases are in fine shape, been sitting in their box for 2 years. I did 4 cases, one turned out ok, the other 3 I wouldn't trust. I was playing around with some 30-06 brass (LC), and it doesn't happen with that brass.

The brass is from Remington corelok ammo, so its not from anything hot. I have some Winchester and Hornaday, but I don't want to blow through what I got if I keep doing that.

Could I have the die adjusted to low, or to far into the case is what I mean? I just adjusted it till it meats the shell holder.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try this. If an unsized case chambers easily, lube the case and blacken the neck and shoulder area with a wax candle. Back off the die a full turn and size the shell noting how far down the neck you've actually sized. Gradually lower the die until you're just shy of touching the neck. If you still have the bulging problem, I have no idea[?] Brass? Dies? or Gremlins??
    Good luck.
    p.s. Actually you could try the same procedure even if the shell doesn't initially chamber easily.
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mic the brass near the base and middle before resizing and compare to Saami standards. Your brass was probably fired in an oversize chamber and needs severe resizing effort to restore to original size. Or your sizing die is undersize (unlikely ) Use good case lube especially on bottom half of cartridge. The bulge is from pushing the thicker brass downward to the point of the bulge. Your die should size all the way down to the shellholder. Bob
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is normal base expansion, nothing to sweat.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    It is normal base expansion, nothing to sweat.

I was going to say the same thing, casehead area expansion from a chamber larger than the brass by a fair amount. I have custom chambers that do the same thing. I bet the bulge is there prior to sizing.