In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

how to get varget to meter well

i was loading some SMK 69 grain bullets last night, and noticed that there was a very large spread in the variance my powder was measuring. annywhere from .1 grain to 1 grain. the best part about varget is that you can not load it to be dangerous in 223, especialy with heavier bullets as the case can not physicaly hold the powder after 25.5 grains(my max load)

anyways, what can be done to get varget to meter more preciseley?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta tell you, I use a lot of Varget and it often measures fine for me in my Lee powder thrower. Just my .02
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an older RCBS thrower and my uncles cheapie LEE powder thrower is much better at the longer extruded grain powders.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I agree, my Lee throws Varget to within .1 gr
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After you set the charge weight tap the handle at the bottom of the throw; just a light tap-tap. It will settle th powder in the volume chamber. Once you get the hang of it you will reduce errors to .1 grains per charge. The key is consistent tapping and handle manipulation.
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    After you set the charge weight tap the handle at the bottom of the throw; just a light tap-tap. It will settle th powder in the volume chamber. Once you get the hang of it you will reduce errors to .1 grains per charge. The key is consistent tapping and handle manipulation.

Same as I say. But I have just noticed this but my weight changed some when the temperature in the room changes as well. Not much about what you have stated.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am surprised to read this. Varget is a very small-grained extruded powder that has always dispensed as well as a spherical powder for me. I get next to no variation in charge weights.

What kind of measure are you using?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bxloader59bxloader59 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Varget a lot but not for high volume loading. With that said I use a RCBS 1500 Despenser scale Combo. If I were to use it for lets say a AK-47 OR .223 I would get a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Its cost almost nothing and is very accurate.