In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What do you consider long range?

one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
Since this is a competitive shooting and reloading section I figure there are some serious shooters on here. What do you consider is good accuracy with a factory firearm(not custom)and what do you think are the first things to do to make a factory gun more accurate. I think trigger and bedding improve accuracy but I am new and looking for more. Also, can I get accuracy past 200yds with factory ammo. And how many different brands should I try in a gun?Different each time at the range through a clean gun or a side by side comparison.Thanks for any support. I shot my first decent group at 200yds and I am hooked.

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Savage builds a bench rest rifle that will shoot .88" at 500 yds out of the box with high grade factory ammo, I think thats pretty good. I have a few rifles that will shoot 1/2" at 200yds, with my hand loads. You said bedding and trigger, thats a good start, optics optics optics, if you can't see it, you can't hit it. You get what you pay for with glass, step up and put out the money if you want good groups at distance. Barrel crown, very important, have a GOOD gun smith check it, or recrown your barrel. Just because it's a factory new gun doesn't mean it's right. I'm sure others will have more ideas, but other than loading your own I don't know how else to improve your groups, other than checking the above. I haven't bought factory center fire ammo in more than 30 years, so I can't help you with whats the best for your application.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is both an impossible and an easy question to answer. If you try to answer it in numbers, it's impossible. Here's the easy way:

Good accuracy is when your average group is half the size of your target. Long range is the farthest distance where that happens.

Think about it. Those two definitions cover everything.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends on the gun and course of fire. With iron sights and military guns, like in a Garand match or something, I am tickled if I can shoot 8" at 200 yards in position. I can do about 6" at 300 from a bench with a FEW guns.

Now with a scoped rifle, and premium components, I'd consider that 'starting' ground. I've seen guys shoot 1.5" at 300 just at my local club- and far better in real matches.

FWIW, to ME 300 yards or more is 'long range'.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    long range for a moderatly experienced shooter would be IMHO 400yds+. For a very experienced shooter, then I would say 600+ yds.

I have rifles that will run the factory ammo they prefer, into 1.5" at 300yds with no problem. Now, with handloads and a properly built rifle, I have gone under 1" at 400-500yds. The shooter makes the difference, with components coming in a close second.

Truing the action and lapping the lugs as well as bedding and a trigger job will help a factory rifle. Other than that, you have to start upgrading components.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bedding? I think I can tackle>trigger did it on my winchester and recently my Howa with acceptable results. Trueing the action? I'm guessing a reputable gunsmith. Is lapping a procedure I should refer to a gunsmith as well? I believe I can do it but can I overdue it and will it cause a headspace issue?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    lug lapping is best left to the gunsmith, as is the "trueing" process. Squaring the action face, bolt face, and the lugs/lug seats is done on a lathe. It should run $150+/-
  • Options
    WayneShawWayneShaw Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the benchrest world, 100, 200 and 300 yards is considered short range, 600 and 1000 yards is long range. The accuracy level just keeps getting better and better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks JustC. I thought it was something enyirely different. That's not too much money. Is it a significant step towards accuracy?
    Thanks>Chris
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto....600 +

quote:Originally posted by JustC
    long range for a moderatly experienced shooter would be IMHO 400yds+. For a very experienced shooter, then I would say 600+ yds.

I have rifles that will run the factory ammo they prefer, into 1.5" at 300yds with no problem. Now, with handloads and a properly built rifle, I have gone under 1" at 400-500yds. The shooter makes the difference, with components coming in a close second.

Truing the action and lapping the lugs as well as bedding and a trigger job will help a factory rifle. Other than that, you have to start upgrading components.
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long Range is when I'm on the couch and can't reach the remote.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 10"x10" steel plate at 300 meters and did have another set at 1/4 mile (until the cows knocked it down anyway). I learn a lot about reading wind using those plates. 300 meters is long range in a gusty wind with a 223 and 440 yards is a long shot for most shooters even with a solid rest.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC

+1 I was going to say 500+ yards.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anytime I have to hold enough to hit the target...let alone paper. With a .223 in 10-20 MPH winds 300 yds is a long ways.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by one2hutn
    Thanks JustC. I thought it was something enyirely different. That's not too much money. Is it a significant step towards accuracy?
    Thanks>Chris

Chris, it makes the rifle more consistent, which in turn makes for more accuracy. When coupled with a properly installed barrel, you will see a huge improvement in accuracy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey justc, thanks. I am starting to figure out where the pieces of the puzzle fit with the helps of folks like you on here.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One2hutn,

My first post was only what I considered a long shot in what conditions. I was in a hurry and didn't have enough time to spew my regular schpiel. There is really a ton of stuff to learn here.

For your first question I have to say now that when I shoot a factory new Savage varmint/target rifle, I can expect .5 MOA or 1/2" @100 yds. The same could and should be said for Tikka, Remington, Winchester and CZ rifles as well. This is shooting quality match ammo. Black Hills tops my list for factory match grade in .308 and .223. I'm not sure what else they make. Federal makes good match ammo too. If you can get .5 MOA @ 100 yds you should be able to get .5 MOA at 1000 yds. AT least that is what the rifle is capable of. Conditions make that far more difficult than one would imagine. Variations in wind followed by velocity make the biggest differences. Also, Tiny differences in the shooters hold make big differences downrange @ 600 and 1K. The thing to do is to learn to be totally consistent in each and everything you do. Notice if you are straining in any way by finding the natural point of aim. It applies at 100 yds as much as 1000 yds. Lots of dry fire practice helps this. Use snap-caps as this will prolong your firing pin while doing this.

Of course the trigger is important. You should have that adjusted before you even go out on your first try to the way you like it. If you can't get it the way you like it replace it with a usable trigger or have a good gunsmith smooth it out for you. Keep in mind the end purposes for the trigger as well. You don't want to be stalking the woods with a 6 oz. trigger. If it's very smooth and breaks quickly (like it should) you can actually do some decent target work with a 1.5# trigger.

Making sure the rifle is properly bedded is right along the same lines as the trigger. Check the fit before you ever take it out. Do what you can, and if the project looks too big then have a gunsmith do it.
    If you want to get very serious about shooting then before you start with a factory rifle you might take it in and have the lugs lapped and action/barrel trued. Just do a little checking and make sure it goes to someone who really understands LR accuracy.

As far as cleaning goes, don't overclean. Use a guide. Be careful when bringing the rod back through the muzzle so as not to ding the lands. Just feed it back through gently or get a muzzle guide. Something I went to is using bore foam and letting it sit for 30min-1 hr. Then running proper sized patches with proper sized jags until clean. I no longer use metal shafted rods either. Only Dewey composite rods. The only metal to metal contact is the brass of the rod to the steel of the barrel. The softer brass doesn't want to ding the steel as bad if they do have hard contact.

And lastly, congratulations on the good group! We all live for the times we do that one phenominal group.
  • Options
    blindhog57blindhog57 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA now considers 600 yards as "Mid Range". You can get a midrange classification. 800 900 and 1000 is Long range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well... I've been away from the computer for two weeks now and my post has come up again. Thanks for all the great feedback. As far as the NRA ranking; I was raised in a NO GUN household and didn't shoot a group that surprised me til I was 40(this year). I may and it is my intention to get accurate out to maybe 500yds but I don't think at this point with my eyes getting older I have the time to commit to get to the 1,000yd group. Oh well, I'm a bow hunter anyway and do enjoy the stalk as much as the kill.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My definition of long range is different. My primary focus is deer hunting. If I lower my rifle rather than take the shot, it's long range.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I tried to say above, no arbitrary yardage number can satisfy all situations. What's long range for a 22 Short most definitely is not for a 22 Hornet, and that in turn is definitely not for a 22-250. One could take this all the way to the 50 BMG and every cartridge or gun named would have a different "long range" number.

So I'll go back to what I posted above: Good accuracy is when your average group is half the size of your target. Long range is the farthest distance where that happens.

Your target might be a bullseye or a bull's lung; it makes no difference. You want your average group to be no larger than half that size at the range you shoot. If the group has spread larger than that, you have ventured into "long range."
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    swillswill Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky,
    Very true. Hunting or otherwise (unless I'm shooting for points) I don't see how I could use any more than this. Good answer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky, that's a different way of looking at it. I like it>thanks
  • Options
    joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's either when I get out of breath on the walk to the target or when I loose the target cause I can't see that well anymore. And that is shooting my NAA mini at 15ft. Man am I aging fast!!
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    At Paris Island we shot 500 yaeds with iron sights, and military .308 ammo. Seemed pretty damn far to me.