In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

whats a safe chamber pressure ?

br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
for an older 1911 colt for reloads? i sure don't want a blowup.
also any one have a favorite load for these older guns? thanks.

Comments

• Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Just like racing antique cars, or flying antique airplanes - only you know how compromised your weapon is...typically they derate planes and bridges and autos about five to ten percent per decade, and cease all stress at about fifty or sixty years.

Some crazies still race really old cars, and some truly insane still fly ancient planes, but their personal safety calculus is beyond my ken.

Best Buddy asked me to load for his Daddy's 1941 1911...I refused.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the gun is in good operational condition there isabsolutely no reason on this earth it can't be shot. Factory ammo is fine unless you want to load some target ammo at reduced pressures. Loading a 230 grain RN cast lead bullet with 6.0 grains of Unique is one of my favorite loads for a 45.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have a slightly different take on comparing guns to race cars and airplanes . I have had only one gun to break and even though it was over 100 years old It broke as I was shutting it after cleaning. A S&W No 3 single action target. Cause was nickel embrittlement and gas cutting of top strap. I think you could stress a pistol by a steady diet of +P loads much more then just by age alone I have a 1971 pistol with over 300,000 rounds through it mostly 820 FPS lead target loads only part I ever broke was one extractor hook "steel case ammo". I also have shot 90 year old 1911's and have a SAA that I shoot very light low pressure loads in but it was shipped to U.S. Army first part of 1873 and was made for black powder loads. IMHO it would be very hard to damage a 1911 if you shoot normal loads.
  • Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    i should have said i shoot factory 45 ammo with no problem. just don't want to load to +P pressure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I figured I'd catch a lot of heck about not shooting a real old gun, but both perry shooter and bpost1958 are real Gentlemen, and more knowledgeable than I. I was unable to load for my buddy because his 1911 was in rough shape, and he is not gun savvy. I have a nearly 90 year old Model 94 that I shoot two (or so) times a year, because it has been well cared-for, and because load easy rounds for it. I know the signs of excessive headspace and/or excessive pressure.

I just couldn't in good conscience, load for a friend's heirloom, hoping that he would have the knowledge to notice such signs.

I also couldn't in good conscience, offer a loading for br549s gun, sight unseen.

Like perry shooter, I keep loads for fun in my 1911 & Sig P220 at or below 800fps, and use dead soft Ranier Ballistics copper-flashed 230gr bullets, and the round count keeps piling up with virtually no alibis.

br549, if you are sure your 1911 is in good shape, there are literally infinite combos of powder and bullet and primer and case that will give you a good load without overpressuring your oldie/goodie. I wish you many more years of safe shooting.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot old guns and fly antique airplanes. I have unfortunately never had any antique cars to race. Both old guns and antique airplanes can be safe if in good condition and operated within design parameters. Determining condition is the key, and sometimes requires significant effort. I find operating the old ones to be extraordinarily rewarding, somehow to me way more than the modern stuff.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I know - the "Old Ones" kinda talk to you, don't they?

You develop a conversation...
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have shot a gun made in 1803 (or around there). Blackpowder muzzleloader of course. I have shot cartridge guns dating from the 1860s and regularly shoot guns made in the 1880s and 1890s. I see no problem with them- assuming they aren't in degraded condition.

I'll make a bet with anyone who wants to take me up on it (and provide the ammo [:D]). I'll put my 1896 dated Mosin Nagant up against the modern rifle or your choice. Because here's the bet. I bet that in another 100 years my Mosin will be working fine, no repairs needed, even if I fire 100,000 rounds out of it. While any new gun- well I wouldn't want to bet on that. Oh I won't say the throat and muzzle won't be burned out but safe to shoot? You betcha I'd bet on that.