In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help find a rifle

dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
if it is out there!
Looking for a rifle to shoot sub moa too 700 yards.
.30-06
heavy barrel
synthetic stock or one that can be changed to a B&C medalist varminter
<$1500 if it can be done

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dbain99,

It can easily be done. Take a look at Savage at www.savagearms.com Go to the "centerfire" section. I would look at 116 Weather Warrior series. You can get those in 30-06 no problem. They don't have a true bull barrel but they are heavier.

You could try a 12FV or a model 10(LE) in .308 That will maybe assure better accuracy. But, at the cost of giving up some energy and velocity.

Other manufacturers make some pretty accurate rifles off the shelf as well. CZ makes the 550 Remington and it's many variations of the model 700. Howa makes an accurized rifle called the Axiom. Winchester made the Stealth and the Coyote.

You might also try just getting a Rem 700 action for cheap. Have a good gunsmith install a good barrel and true the action for you. There are a lot of drop in synthetic stocks for Rem 700's.

All told the rifle could come in at less that $700. In which case you could buy a $400-$800 scope (include bases and rings with that) so you can really see what it is you are shooting at.

-good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any thoughts or experience on a Weatherby Vangaurd Sub-MOA in .30-06?
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Browning w/ BOSS can be tuned to small groups.

Personally I'd get a Savage w/ heavy barrel, invest the rest in good glass and a reloading set up to tune the ammo...
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Past about 300 yards the shooter has a lot more bearing on the shot than the rifle does.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am confident at 500 and 600 yards with my .223, I would like to find a .30-06 to say the same about.