In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Magnum primers vs. standard primers in pistols

Can you use magnum primers in pistol ammo where standard primers are called for or would that make too drastic a change in pressure?

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Back off 1-11/2grs on the powder charge, depending on powder, and work up from there.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot 5.2gr of ZIP for 45ACP loads using 200gr SWC lead with LP primers and use magnum primers with the same charge for 185gr jacketed bullets to get the same point of impact. (Because I am lazy and do not want to adjust my Dillon SQ-D-B powder measure)

1 1/2 gr drop can be 30% for some loads so I can't say I agree but that might apply to bigger cased loads like 44mag using powder requiring larger amounts.

I would advise using the start load of regular primers for your LPM and test a few rounds against known loads for point of impact, recoil and always check fired primers for any signs of over pressure..

One problem is there are no industry standards for labeling a primer regular or magnum.
    Some are the same solution with a thicker cup while others are considerably hotter.
    One magnum maker may vary considerably so do not assume what Federal does will be the same for CCI, Wolf or Winchester.

IMO

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of my handguns have too light a strike to reliably fire magnum primers.
    I've read writers recommendations to use mag primers exclusively in handguns for more complete combustion.
    A range officer said there is lots of unspent powder on the floor justforward of the firing stations.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have never used magnum primers in any of my pistols, but just for reference I once did some comparison chronograph work using standard and magnum primers in a .44 SBH. Using 240 grain hard cast bullets and 2400 powder I got identical muzzle velocity using 21 grains of powder and CCI 350's as I did using 22 grains and a standard (believe it was CCI 300) primer.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx, RCrosby. That's what I needed to know.
  • Options
    glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input gentlemen. RCrosby, thanks for the first hand chronographed information. I think that answers my question and as long as I am not using max loads or I back it down a grain or two I should be alright using magnum primers in place of standard primers in my pistol.