In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Berger VLDs verses Matchkings

What is evryones opinion on the vlds.Have been doing some reading an there are some folks out there that say there is no beating the vlds for long range shooting.I just dont know who to beleave.Looking to use the 210 grain vlds or the 220 grain match kings in a 30-378 weatherby with a 30" hart 1000 br taper barrel with a 10 twist.So what is everyones ideas on this.feel free to post your thoughts on this because I can use all the help I can get.Thanks

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For years I competed using Sierra Matchkings almost exclusively. I have tried most of the other
    Makes bullets, but none shot as well as the Matchkings in my rifle. (including several makes of VLD's) Having said that, some of the
    Shooters that I competed against had almost the exact opposite experience. Their rifles just would
    not give the best result with Sierras. Bottom line is you have to find what works in YOUR rifle.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot a box of each to find out which is best for you. Opinions, based on results, about bullets are gun specific.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mudd_bogger,

Like it or not, that is your answer. Each rifle is an individual especially when you get into the customs. That means that you should buy a box of each and go through a ladder load program to see which one your rifle prefers. Remember that it's not just group size but group shape that will have a bearing on your accuracy at longer distances.

Pay attention to the shank length of each maker's bullets as this will have a bearing on the accuracy in your barrel. Be sure to know where the throat starts and that you can measure this distance accurately. If you see that you're not getting the accuracy you think you should be getting, have the concentricity of the chamber to bore checked.

I have used the Berger, JLK, Sierra and some from two different custom manufacturers overseas in the .30-378 Weatherby. The better, more consistent bullets will always perform the best. Look at some of the new generation of solid bullets, those referred to as mono-metallics or 'green' bullets. These will be longer and take up some of that extra space in this huge case.

Powders that have worked well for me are:

AA-#8700

Hodgdon 50BMG

V V N-24N41

V V N-20N29

These are the slowest of the slow to try to make up for the inefficiency of this case volume. Remember that there are also some supplies of slow surplus powders that will work but cost less. This can be important considering that each case uses somewhere over 100 grains of powder per shot.

Good Luck and keep us updated with your progress.

Best.
  • Options
    mudd_boggermudd_bogger Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone who has replied.Right now im waiting on the the bullets to be shipped.As for powder this is what I have on hand to start with.8lbs of 20n29,8lbs of retumbo,2lbs of reloader 25,2lbs 0f 50 bmg and 2lbs of us869.Have had good results with the retumbo in the factory barrel,an the 20n29 was highly recomanded by vitha vuori at least thats what the tech man Don said with the 210 grainers 119 grains should give me a 98% burn rate with the long barrel
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By my experience and reading, VLDs do better if "jammed" into the rifling. Does your .30-378 have freebore like a regular Weatherby or a short enough throat to let you load them into the lands?
  • Options
    mudd_boggermudd_bogger Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The chamber has a short throat so I should beable to get to the lands an grooves.Just havent got my bullets yet to try anything