In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

problem- dillon indexing

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
my dillon 550b has funtioned pretty much flawlessly for the last 2 years/about 3 thousand rounds but last night it stopped indexing like it should. it just felt really loose like it wouldnt stay where it should, almost like the ball that holds it in place was gone. i took the shellplate off and looked and the ball is there so i cleaned underneath the shellplate and re tighted the bolt and set screw but it still wouldn't index. any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Call Dillon - the person who answers will talk you through the whole process, step-by-step, and he/she will send you any parts needed for free. He/She will also send you any parts required to bring it up to present spec., and will include the latest Manual for your Loader, all for free.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Their number is; 1 (800) 762-3845 , just in case you can't find it.

Any News?
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To add to the above good advise, call them, that is why one buys a Dillon, they take care of it.

On many related subjects you might get better advise here than a manufacturer but not in the case of Dillon maintenance.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have to re-seat the stem of the indexing tray to apply the right amount of pressure on the index ball.
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry i didnt get back to you sooner but i called dillon and he told me to take the shellplate off and remove the indexing ball and clean in there, he said the build up of stuff keeps the ball from sticking out the proper height. i did clean under there but i didnt think to remove the ball and clean there. he seemed fairly certain that was the problem but i haven't had the time to get back after though. probaly this weekend. thanks for your suggestions.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used most of the progressive loaders quite extensively. Here's what I have learned: (1) When working up loads, or other times when a small quantity of a load is needed, or there were be frequent changes, nothing beats a good turrent press such as the Lyman. (2) Progressives with manual indexing, such as the RCBS, are far more trouble free than ones that index with each stroke of the handle. (3) Many of the problems associated with use of a progressive are caused by failure to keep everything clean. Small amounts of powder and other gunk never fail to work their way into everything. (4) The most troublesome progressives are those that load the powder directly above the priming station such as the Lee 1000.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i will elaborate more but it wasnt the problem dillon thought, i have to get to the movie though with my wife, she is yelling to go as i type[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the problem was actually my own.[B)]

336marlin had it right. if my memory serves when i tighted the set screw i think i just tightened it with the allen wrench the "long" way and meant to go back and retighten if everything was good. i didnt turn the allen wrench the "short" way to get it good and tight.

thanks again for your responses.