In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

50-95

norgexxxnorgexxx Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
Originally posted this in 'ask the experts' section as I was wont to think that the 'competition shooting and reloading' forum was for....well... competition type reloading. ('Ol dopey me....) Still a bunch of experts viewed my inquiry, but none had anything to share, so if the moderators will allow it I will pose the question here. Many thanks in advance to any who can enlighten.

Have the new Chapperal 1876 Winchester clone in 50-95. Anybody have some loading data? New manufacture made to SAAAMI specs, faster twist then originals, much sturdier/stronger reciever and action also; should be able to handle something a little beefier then the aniemic commercial stuff that costs 3x what it should. Anyone thats got some load data on this please share. I'll even settle for some good 'theories' at this point; (ie;use the same powder as a 45-70 adjusted to bullet size??etc.) Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some black powder loads some where with velocities.

As I recall the 50/140 had a velocity of 1600 feet per second. I have loaded 50/70 brass ut to these velocities in Remington Rolling blocks with no problems. I guess I would suggest Not loading higher than 1400 to 1500 feet per second.
  • Options
    norgexxxnorgexxx Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks FIRE F E; any chance you know how hard your lead is for those velocities, R-U using a gas-check on the bottom...a wad..nothing? Kind of challenging trying to find anything on this great ol cartridge, so experience gets my attention. But no...I'm not going to load BP. I've got almost 20 sootburners, and I shoot BP in most of them every year. That being said I may use a BP substitute (say tripleX) but do not want the hassle or danger of loading BP cartridge, not because I'm careless, just because I'm not the lucky type, and sooner or later...but any info you have to share, I'm all ears!
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    check my answer in the 'experts' forum, basicly don't push this rifle to far. It just ain't that strong. a case full of trail boss should work well (no compression), or if you use something like 4198 or 4227 you can use regular cotton for a case 'filler'.