In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Had something pretty frightening happen to me...

I went out to the range today with some of my 9mm reloads that I've been doing the same way for years with no problem.

My formula is 115gr Speer FMJ, 4.5 grams of hurcules bullseye, and winchester primers.

I reloaded a set of 50 last night, with no problems. I always clean my primer pockets with a brush, and take great care. I loaded a mag into my P08 Luger this morning, cocked the action, and when it closed, the first round just went off without my finger on the trigger. Thank god I always have my muzzle pointed in a safe direction and it just hit the dirt. Scared the poop out of me to say the least. The gun WAS NOT previously cocked, and it doesn't look at all like the primer isn't seated all the way in the pocket. ( I recovered the spent casing) yet, there is a clear dent in the primer from where the firing pin struck it.

Do you think there's something wrong with my gun? Or do you think the primer was sticking out just far enough so that the breech face hit it?

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the gun, the hammer followed the bolt down. May just need a good cleaning or your sear is worn.
  • Options
    ryanek9freakryanek9freak Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well it's definatley not a cleaning issue, as I meticulously maintain my weapons, and I can't find anything obviously wrong with the sear or hammer. Perhaps I should take it to a gunsmith, cause I don't have the tools to set up the headspace. (or to check it)
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess Sear as well.

Just a note on your post don't get Grams & Grains mixed up when loading!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah I meant grains, sorry. Jesus, 4.5 GRAMS of powder would be an insane amount. I don't even think you could fit all that into a 9mm shell.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You say this was a Luger? Might want to give a close look
    at that little spring just above the trigger. If that has some rust on it or something else that causes it to hang up, you might find yourself with a full auto Luger. MAN THEY ARE FAST!!!
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    It's the gun, the hammer followed the bolt down.

Lugars are striker fired, they don't have a hammer
    The trigger pulls a bellcrank down (mounted on the back of the sideplate), which in turn pushs the sear bar in, releasing the striker.

Another place for the OP to check is the spring loaded pin on the sear bar (it acts as the disconnector). Also, check the edges where the striker engauges the side bar
  • Options
    edited November -1
    YOu know, I can take apart every gun I have with no problem, but the Luger is a nice Mitchell repro. I think I'll leave this one to a gunsmith. I took it apart far enough to get a look at the sear, but I put it back together.

About it going full auto, I'm glad it didn't do that. By all means it should have.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sear spring sounds weak or the sear or striker notch may be rounded.
    If it were a military gun, I'd say the sear spring was at fault and needed bending but as it's a stainless repro there is a good chance the parts are soft and have rounded.
    It's not a big deal to inspect once you understand how the gun works because you can easily take the slide apart and examine the parts.
    There's nothing wrong with the load.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I do have the manual for it. Maybe I'll give it another shot tonight. I gotta confess, I'm not too familiar with striker fired handguns. The mitchell is the only one i've ever owned.