In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Everything needed to cast your one bullets?

hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
What all is needed to cast your own bullets? I have been doing a lot of reading but just want to see what info you all have. And im talking about just what is necessary, nothing fancy. Any help would be much appriciated.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    To cast and then use your own bullets First you need lead this can be any thing from free range mining scrap to buying virgin casting metal . Then you need a way to melt he lead anything from a small cast iron pot and a kitchen range to a Thermostatically controlled bottom pour melting pot then you need mold block of correct size and weight any where from a cheap Lee brand single cavity mold block that will cast one bullet at a time to a 6 cavity H&G mold block that will cast 6 bullets at a time for BIG BUCKS and then you need to size and lube the bullets and this with any thing again from a cheap lee cookie cutter type to a Star with heater lubersizer again for big bucks. My guest any where from $30.00 to $600.00 just to cast one size bullets . it all depends on how much time you want to spend and the quality of what you make for say 100 bullets.
  • Options
    hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply perry. Im going to look into it some more. A lot of material to learn from on the internet. Thanks again.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This link is to a great site to learn a lot.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/

I've been casting for over 30 years. It is fun and a fantasitc way to save a lot of money on shooting.

You should get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook; it is the bible on casting bullets.

The Lee bottom pour pot is great. Lee molds are performing very well and are 1/3 the price of iron molds. Don't be afraid of used stuff, most of it never gets used much.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    I've been casting and shooting cast bullets since the 1970's. Since I'm a "NEWBIE" here, I don't know enough to answer your question. [xx(]
    [sarcasm]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Look at midwayUSA they seem to be having a sell on some casting stuff. Price is not bad at least from the flier I just got.
  • Options
    ryanek9freakryanek9freak Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 Lyman smelting pots, and various Lyman bullet molds, along with a resizer with all the approprate sizing dies. It's not that expensive to get in to, and I get all the lead I want for free, courtesty of the tire shop I live by. You do have to make an alloy though, if you want good performance. I use 8lbs of lead and 1 pound of tin, although there are commercial mixes if you want to spend the money. Also the mix has to be fluxed, with beeswax, or a commercial substance made just for bullet fluxing.

My wife hates it when I start the pot. It stinks up the whole house. But hey, it's cheap as hell. I have even started putting gas checks on most of my bullets as well.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    The best advice I can offer regarding casting your own bullets is: DON'T!!!! You are looking at a sizable investment, and casting is one serious pain in the butt!! I have everything necessary for casting, and I buy my bullets. If you have to try it, Lyman makes everything you need. My Lyman equipment is 35 years old. It now resides in my attic.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have all the equipment needed to do this. My father that pasted a few years ago had this stuff. I have never tried to us this stuff. Is it worth the effort? Even with today's higher prices. Lasercast bullets still has to be the way to go. I guess if someday when I can't get lead bullets I can make my own. But for now it is not worth the time involved in making and lubing.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well for me it is worth it for the cost (bullets that are essentially free) accuracy (matching bullet to groove diameter and playing with lube types, alloy types, etc) greater selection of diameters and types of bullets over lasercast etc., and so forth.

Is it worth it to you? You have to answer that.