In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Some lead bullet rifle load results

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I have been tinkering with a Mauser 8MM rifle shooting cast bullets in it. Today I was very pleasantly surprised by some of the results.

The Lyman Cast Bullet handbook had an asterisk beside a load of 27 Grains of IMR-4198 as potentially the most accurate load. The book claimed 1925 FPS from a 323470 160 grain bullet. I am using a Lee 90274 (C324-175-R) instead.

I loaded reformed 30-06 brass with Federal magnum primers and a load of 27.0 grains of IMR-4198. The book claimed 1925 FPS, I got 1920 average with a 48.4 ES and a SD of 14.03. That is not too bad for a old military rifle.

The really cool thing was seeing the target after shooting. It had one rounded hole 1-1/4 inches OUTSIDE to OUTSIDE with seven bullets in it. The other three were an inch or so away in no particular pattern. I attribute my 51 year old eyes and battle sights for the fliers.

Next I shot the same bullet with N133. The load of 30.0 grains averaged 1873 FPS. I think it too holds a lot of potential for bug-eyed groups so I an going up 1.5 grains trying to get closer to 2,000 FPS.

Shooting the milsurp ball ammo stuff last; it too surprised me. It is Yugo stuff from 1953, some needs hit twice to go bang. It averaged 2356 FPS with a ES of 47.42 and a SD of 13.67. That is some impressive ammo for old commie milsurp!

If you cast and have a Mauser, shooting lead is a cheap way to keep range costs down to a minimum. Have fun, be safe.

Comments