In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

outside neck turn a wssm

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I need to outside neck turn 223 wssm brass cases as some of the cases are too thick and will allow the bolt to close. ( all trimmed too length- thick walled necks do not close thin wall brass does). My question is my champfer tool will not trim the excess because of the angle of the shoulder of the wssm case. Has anyone found a way around this problem? Thank you, JOe.

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    the cases are too thick and will allow the bolt to close.
    Miss typed I imagine...
    Champfer tool ??????
    You can grind the neck turning cutter to conform to the shape of the neck shoulder junction.. no other way around it.....
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry, I type slower than I think ( and worst also) - Yes the bolt will NOT close with the thicker brass. The tool is a lee, which inside ( and flip around ) outside turns and removes brass. But speaking to another guy at the local shop he stated that the wssm cases are difficult to find something that works. We looked at the RCBS hand tool and that too did not appear to be able to do the job.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

I have an RCBS neck reamer Inside/outside and it can be adjusted to cut that 'donut' down. I'm not understanding where people keep getting a donut on these case though. I haven't had the problem. What dies are you using?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume this is a tight-neck match chamber??

I use the K&M tool,..very easy, very precise.

as far as the chamfor tool engaging the shoulder, you can insert the case into a shellholder for the drill, and simply hold a small file on the excess brass around the exterior of the case mouth as it turns and it will come right off.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    It sounds to me like you have one of those tools that cuts the lip on the case inside and out...
    A K&M cutter for example does not flip over to do the inside and outside, it only cuts the outside of the neck, from the top to the neck shoulder junction... and does a super job doing it..... and it will cut to a 40 degree shoulder with out a problem......