In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee auto primer

alan selfalan self Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
Never though much about why you should not use federal primers in lee auto primers. But now I don't have much choice of brands of primers I can get. Is it because the federal has thiner shell ?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello.
    I am using my SIL's Lee primer
    with the disc to hold multiple
    primers.I'm used to an RCBS hand
    primer.I'm getting some crushed primers,
    and find it difficult to seat many primers
    in the pocket of new Winchester brass-(CCI 550)
    primers.I never had this problem before
    with my RCBS tool. Is this Lee tool defective
    or have a bad rap or is it me?
    Thanks-Rong
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Federal primers are more sensitive than Winchester or CCI. I have loaded many thousands of Federal primers with the Lee tool without a problem.
  • Options
    220combat220combat Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use what ever primers are available at the store, many are Federal, and I use Lee priming tools. No problems here.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without getting into a dissertation about primer compounds, allow me to just state that Federal primers use a priming mix that is more susceptible to mutual detonation. That means if they are close together and one goes off, they all can - and probably will. (That's why Federal primers come in such large packages, so no two primers touch.)

In ANY priming tool where primers touch, whether tray types like the Auto-Prime or tube types like on progressive presses, mass detonation of primers is a possibility. That possibility is greatly enhanced (or worsened, depending on your view) with Federal primers.

The absolute prohibition printed in Lee's instruction sheets are the result of a lawsuit where somebody got hurt using Federal primers in an Auto-Prime.

Federal primers are great products. But one should either use extreme caution when using them in any application where primers touch, or use them only if handled singly. It's as simple as that.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    220combat220combat Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To expand on my post, and in regards to Rocky's post, I use Federal's in my hand primer, but not in the Lee Pro 1000 because there is powder direcrly above the priming mechanism on the press. Therefore, mass detonation would be magnafied with a powder supply directly above the primers.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    federal is made of a softer metal. The primer "could" be ignitied if you hamm fist one that is cocked or jammed a little. I feel for the pressure as I seat them,...if one feels hard to seat, I STOP and look to determine why.

You can easily tell the difference in feel when seating federal primers as opposed to other brands,..they feel much softer when seating and most of the time require much LESS pressure to seat them.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I have always used what is available without ever experiencing any problems. I honestly believe people have a favorite primer just like people have a favorite beer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the answers. It helps to know & where is a better place to ask.