In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

200 gr SWC Rainer 45's and jams

japorterjaporter Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
All,

I've got an issue with Rainer SWC .45 in 200 gr and jams. I've tried just about everything. My Kimber will eat them no matter what but my Smith, Colt and Sig all jam. The round gets about 3/4 of the way into the barrel and that's it. Works just fine with less than 5 rounds loaded. A full 8 is certain to jam the first two.

Jams clear easy with a slap on the mag and the occasional rack of the slide.

I've tried crimping the rounds, I've shortened them down to 1.21, ran them out to 1.28 (the Sig hated that).

Any thoughts anyone?

A

Comments

• Options
    csteinhcsteinh Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good luck with the Rainier bullets. I seat them to .928 from the base of the case to the top of the wad cutter portion of the bullet.

However, I have a similar problem with another bullet; my guru friends claim that my magazine is not releasing the cartridge properly. Some adjustment to the lips of the magazines have helped, but not cured, the problem. Polishing the feed ramp also helped, but did not cure, the problem.

Your problem with a loaded magazine has to do with the amount of spring pressure exerted on the top round in the magazine. Adjusting the lips of the magazine and/or changing your magazine spring should help the jamming problem

Cort
  • Options
    220combat220combat Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sig 220 eats any load with a round nose. Any semi wadcutter type design, and it won't fully chamber them. Others with S&W and Kimber 1911's eat them fine, though. Differnet guns like different ammo.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could not get the Rainier SWC to run in three guns tried, guns that are set up for cast "#68" SWCs.

I would shoot them in the Kimber and get something else for the others. Life is not long enough to agonize over one brand of bullet out of many.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello With semi wad cutter bullets the Key is The relationship of the case mouth to the front SHOULDER/DRIVING BAND of the bullet and the type and amount of crimp. As the nose design of many 200 grain semi wadcutters vary a great amount you need to take each barrel out of it's corresponding pistol and then set up your reloader so that when you seat the bullet it will have about about 1/64 of an inch of the shoulder projecting out the front mouth of the case. Now set your TAPER crimp die so that the very end of the case mouth is .001-.002 smaller then the case 3/8 of an inch below the case mouth.Different case thickness will cause this to vary but for the most part .469 will be what you end up with on the case mouth. Now with this loaded round try to see if it will fully chamber in each barrel under it's own weigh. The back of the case should be flush to the rear HOOD area of the barrel. If all barrels result with case fully chambering and case head below flush then you can seat your bullet further out in the case . Remember the exposed lead SHOULDER is a must to ease the transition into the barrel from the feed ramp and case mouth must be just slightly smaller then the rest of the case and you must use TAPER crimp not roll crimp. I have loaded and shot over 300,000 of 200 grain semi wadcutters of many designs and this method does work. Cheers "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well not with Rainer, but with my own cast in a Rock Island... I had to seat the bullets just BELOW the case mouth- leaves a thin ring of brass above the bullet. Now they feed fine. Go figure.