In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Removing extreme lead deposits from barrel

swagg68swagg68 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
Made one of my first rookie mistakes reloading, loaded one shell with no powder. End result a 9mm lead round stuck about half way down the barrel. With some help from the shooting center's staff they dislodged the bullet, which was very appreciated. Now the problem is removing the excessive lead left in the barrel from where it was punched out. I have scrubbed it pretty hard with a plastic brush, run many solvent ladden pads, but there is still a lot of lead stuck in there.

Are there any tips on removing these lead deposits other then what looks like hours of scrubbing? Any special solvents, tools, etc. recommended?

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had a severe leading problem once many years ago. brass brush, solvent, pads, and lots of elbow grease back then. There may be new products out that will "remove" it quicker...someone will be along shortly to help ya out with those.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a Lewis Lead Remover. Sold by Brownells. Best thing there is for removing lead. www.brownells.com
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 the Lewis Lead Remover; a must have tool to my way of thinking. Another excellent, and very different approach, is the Outer Lead-Out Unit. Either will give you back a whistle clean bore.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    ++1 on the Lewis Lead Remover, everyone should have one.
    W.D.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot a few rounds of fmj through it,works every time, then clean normally.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Wrap an old worn bore brush with 0000 steel wool or chore boy copper pads. Scrubs it right out. The chore boy is copper and won't hurt it in the least but provides a lot more surface area than the brush alone. The steel wool is softer than the barrel steel- but I won't make a habit of using it either, just like SS brushes.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    Shoot a few rounds of fmj through it,works every time, then clean normally.

Yep, irons that lead right into the steel. IOW it only LOOKS like it's been removed.

Get a copper "chore boy" scrubbing pad, strip out a strand or 2 and wrap them around a brush. It cuts the lead a lot better than a brush alone AKA the poor mans Lewis lead remover.
    Another "trick" is to plug the breach end, than fill the barrel with 3 1/2% H2O2 and let it stand for 5 minutes.

BTW, ALL the chemicals work better if you give them a little TIME, leave the inside of the barrel "wet" for 10-15 minutes, than patch
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Listen to reloader 44 and the other that use the Lewis lead remover.
  • swagg68swagg68 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everybody for the info. I went ahead on your advice and ordered a Lewis Lead Removal kit from Brownell's. Can't wait to start removing the mounds of lead in the barrel so I can't shoot a new round of reloads with powder in them.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chuck that plastic bore brush and get some bronze wire brushes.
  • rotarymetertecrotarymetertec Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ? Didn't they use mercury put a cork in one end pour into the barrel believes it disolves the lead into the mercury pour it back out.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RMT,
    Yeah, the mercury works great too! When I was a kid we used to love rolling the stuff around in our hands, rubbing dimes with it to make them super shiny, etc.
    Harder to find in any quantity now, though. Extremely toxic stuff; does all kinds of nasty neurological damage.
    Best to stay away from the stuff.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner it has always worked for me.I shoot bowling pins using lead, at the end of the match I shoot 3 to 5 jacketed rounds through. When I clean later there is no lead in the bore. I've only been doing this for the better part of 40 years, so I guess it doesn't work.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Brownell's carries what is called the lewis lead remover...only way to go!
  • ryanek9freakryanek9freak Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always been able to get it out with just a brass brush.
  • fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rotarymetertec
    ? Didn't they use mercury put a cork in one end pour into the barrel believes it disolves the lead into the mercury pour it back out.

Yes the mercury amalgomates with the lead.
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just shot fmj down the barrel as whippers everytime I shot to clean barrel. Why scrub for hours when a fmj load will do it for you. I shot lead usually a little hot so you have lead leftovers. Just load and shot a clip of fmj before you put your gun away for the day. When you get home and clean your weapon you will have no lead leftovers and cleanup is a breeze.
  • m113103m113103 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it a sizeable amount take it to a gunsmith and have them remove it. A Lewis lead remover will take out lead deposits but it won't remove the lead left over from a stuck bullet. Cheaper to pay a gunsmith than screw up a barrel.