In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Case tumblers

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
What brand of case tumbler do you own? What brand of case tumbler would you recomend?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Who makes big case tumblers.Iwould like to do 10 to 15 lbs at atime.Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How necessary are case tumblers to the reloader who isn't high volume??? I like to find 1 or 2 loads for each of my rifles or handguns and then load up a box (20) of each. What is the best way to hand clean /polish brass?????
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Zip Trim from Lee, and a cheap scrubby sponge. (You will have to get the "Universal Shellholder, unless you wanna buy the trimming accessories for your caliber)
  • Options
    rotarymetertecrotarymetertec Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    amonnia and water I believe the same as jewery cleaner. scrub em up.
    They won't be polished dull clean look. Polished doesn't help performance any how. After you reload them wipe them down with WD-40 [fish oil] will keep finger prints and oxdizing.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    insert case into caseholder for a drill. Spin case while running a rag with brass polish on it,..up and down the case until it shines up. Done in minutes.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    You'll need the Zip Trim anyway, because after about two shots from the same case, it is getting long enough to maybe not allow the bolt to close if you only neck size. That is the way it works for my .308 anyway.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm not a high volume reloader but i still think having a tumbler and using it is a good idea,i like cleaning my brass before running them into a fl die,also cleans inside the neck making extraction from the die easier,just my opinion but i'd recommend getting one
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rotarymetertec
    amonnia and water I believe the same as jewery cleaner. scrub em up.
    They won't be polished dull clean look. Polished doesn't help performance any how. After you reload them wipe them down with WD-40 [fish oil] will keep finger prints and oxdizing.

Ammonia is not good for Brass. Its been covered on here before. causes it to crack.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    2 solutions come to mind for cleaning brass without tumbling.

1- 1 bottle 'no drip' coffee pot cleaner/decalcifier. It's a mild acid- to 1 gallon of water. Rinse the cases in this for a few minutes, agitate, then remove.

2- 2 parts white vinegar to 1 part water, and a few squirts of lemon juice plus a little dish detergent. Same as above, let soak, agitate, remove.

Both of these are mildly acidic. I finish with a bath in baking soda/warm water, then rinse. You can reuse the solutions a lot and the dirt settles to the bottom of the jug. If you are careful you can pour some off to use without disturbing it.

Unless it is really a grungy case I sure don't bother cleaning them by hand.

But you are really just looking for clean brass. Shiny is a secondary concern. Scrubbing them with a toothbrush or whatever would work fine as well. Clean but not shiny.