In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Grounding needed for new loading bench?

coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
I have reloaded for a lot of years but in no way would I call myself an expert nor do I want to be thought of as ignorant but I have a question regarding the new loading bench I am building. I have a lot of experience in the electrical field and know how important the grounding system is. As I was working on it awhile back, I did get a spark from static electricity and got to wondering if that spark was enough to ignite powder. Because of this train of thought, I was wondering if it would be a good safety precaution to run a grounding wire from the hold-down bolts for the presses to a known ground? I don't recall ever getting any static spark while loading or dispensing powder but after thinking about it and what could happen, I thought I would ask. I do keep my powder canisters in a wooden box, learned this while working with explosives, and keep the primers isolated from the powder while in storage.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Static is never good around powder or other things that can burn rapidly. For the few minutes it would take to ground the equipment it might be worth the effort, at least you will sleep better. Safety while enjoying our hobby is really never wrong.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    In all handling of powders it is recommended that the "person" be grounded prior to handling. This is normally done with a "slap pad" (grounded wire attached to a pad of copper)or grounding through the shoe. Do most people do this (including myself) for hand loading, no.

It is however a good idea. During my service years we did get safety training that indicated static can set off powder and other explosives, and we were ALWAYS required to ground ourselves prior to working with any type powder or explosives.

Best of luck
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At best, static can cause both powder measures and scales to act wonky. It can't hurt to run a light wire from each to a good ground, and I think it helps a lot.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't have carpet under the bench or your feet. Mine is on a tile floor. Also, a wipe down of the scale, pan, and your hands with a dryer sheet will work too.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good ideal to me for it wouldn't take much time or money to do it. Static tends to build up big time in the winter months and that can be when most people have the extra time on their hands to do some reloading.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grounding equipment is fine but if YOU build up a static charge and then touch a grounded piece you might get a spark. Never have carpet in the area, never wear rubber soled shoes when reloading. When I reload black powder cartridges, I wear a ground strap around one wrist.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the replies. My bench is in my garage, concrete floor. It was/is winter here and the spark was recent. I think I will go ahead with my grounding plans. It would be very easy to do right now and I have all kinds of wire so it won't cost a thing but could save a lot.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be quite easy to also tack a strip of metal "L" flashing along the front edge of the bench and ground that. Simply touch or lean against the flashing before and at intervals during reloading.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What the heck is your loading bench made out of???

and the fact that you felt a spark also indicate that your table is grounded and you discharged to it??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is made of wood. Your comment got me to thinking about that. The top had several tools on it and it is inside of a metal building. I didn't even have the presses mounted on it. I was still in the process of sanding the top down prepping for stain. Snug against one end of the bench is a file cabinet which does set on the floor. It is quite possible that I got the spark from the file cabinet-to-ground path. The presses are mounted now so I guess I will get to do some reloading and check things as I go to prevent an unwanted chain of events.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    My bench is wood, my floor is concrete, and there's a dryer sheet around my powder dispenser, the base of the press, and I always reload barefoot. It just seems more comfortable, and I can pick up dropped primers with my toes.
  • Options
    ScottCScottC Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CD-I am a master electrician. Think about this, if you ground your press you are creating a low resistance path to ground. In doing so you are more likley to discharge the static in your body than if the path to ground is of higher resistance. I would use a protective mat to stand on that is grounded before I would ground the equipment. They make them for electronic technicians and computer assembly persons. Or something like a wrist band that is grounded. The dryer sheet trick is great for plastic as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This makes good sense Scott. The more I think about this situation, I have pretty much convinced myself that the spark came through the filing cabinets. I have tried to recreate the scenerio and I can't get any sign of static electricity. I have never experienced this with my old reloading benches and they have all been made of wood.
  • Options
    tigguytigguy Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great question, and answers. I've thought about how to keep the static away from my funnel, the powder grains sometimes want to stick and thought it would be a little safer to find out how to get rid of it. I like the dryer sheet solution, I seem to carry a ton of static with me because I'm always getting shocked. I've learned and now it's automatic to ground everything I touch with the back of my hand. Thanks.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Now I have a new project this weekend.

Go take the carpet out from under my bench.

Outstanding thread.

Thanks.
  • Options
    grady mitchellgrady mitchell Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    do not build your reloading tables out of metal use wood only
  • Options
    garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    Another way to rid your powder funnels from static is to wash them with soap and water and let them drip dry. DO NOT rinse them. This will leave them static free.
  • Options
    shoots2muchshoots2much Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Humidity is also a factor, in winter when the furnace dries the house out static is more likely to occur.
    It's a dilemma, we want to keep our loading supplies and guns as dry as possible so we keep the humidity as low as possible in gun room, that intern encourages static.
    The grounding mat sounds like the most reasonable answer to me.