In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

large rifle winchester primers? reload help?

hello
i have some large rifle winchester primers 1000 or 2000 but not sure what caliber they work in i only would reload for 30-06 would this be correct for that? also would it be small rifle primers for the 223. i have never reloade any brass yet but have a 550b and a rockcrusher both new the 550b i had my ffl freind help me set it up for 45 acp so it will be set to reload 3.5 grains of bullseye. but now i want to set it up as well to reload the 223 so i can change cals by taking the top end off? what do i need for that. also what dies do i need for the rockcrusher. the main things i shoot is 9mm, 45 acp, 357 mag, 44 mag, 223 and 30-06. i shoot 12 ga and have reloaded about 20,000 rounds with my pw 900. my wife loves to shoot trap and reload with this press so i thought i better see what i need for the brass end. the rockcrusher was a kit that i bought about 15 years ago it has everthing i think i need. but i need a little help. are the 550b able to get parts for the 223 setup?
thanks for your time

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you need to read some books. Not sounding like a smart *, but some of the questions you are asking are HAVE TO KNOW questions. Questions that you need ingrained in your head from reading about reloading. Your life may depend on it.

The LR primers will work for 30-06. You need small rifle primers for the .223. You can also use military primers for the .223, CCI and Wolf make some specifically for semi autos. Any manufacture of dies will work for .223. You just need to change out the die and shell holder on your press. Most die sets come with a shell holder. Buy a set of dies with full case sizing and neck sizing. If reloading for semi auto, you may need a crimping die.

Rifle reloading has more steps in it then pistol reloading. Most people don't trim pistol brass as it is not needed. Most people don't clean primmer pockets with their plinking ammo for pistols. These are things that you will have to do to the rifle ammo and you will need the tools for. You need case lube and then some way to clean the case lube off the cases before you load them.

Good luck
  • Options
    frisky-maddogfrisky-maddog Member Posts: 208 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks shoff14
    i have the reloading books but it has been a while i have a case trimmer and the type of stuff the only thing i dont have yet is a tumbler and media for it any recomenadations for that?
    thanks again
  • Options
    glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Lyman turbo 1200 tumbler (Midway USA Product #: 450403) which has served me well and is reasonably priced. Midway USA has a Frankford Arsenal tumbler set on sale which is very reasonably priced and should work well (Product #:414369).