In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading Equipment Recomendations

fishcofishco Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
I am thinking of getting back into reloading, after being out of it for 30 years. haven't loaded anything since I was a kid.
What equipment should I considure?
I am willing to spend about $1000.00 on equipment, or less.

OK guys give me some advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome back to the fold.
    Recommendations will be most helpful if based on a little more information.
    What are you planning to reload: shotgun? rifle? handgun?
    Volume? You might consider a progressive press if you have the background, even though 30 years old, and if you plan to reload high volumes. Otherwise a good single stage press is usually a good place to start; RCBS, Lyman, Bonanza.....
  • Options
    fishcofishco Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifle and handgun.
    .223,.2506, .270, .308, 3006, 338lm, 9mm, 38spc, 45acp
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redding dies are a little better quality than rcbs and I feel, worth the extra money.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look at the Dillon 550 or 650. They will load any of the calibers you mentioned.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I have RCBS equipment that was bought in 1974. Still works great! Be sure you look into one of the starter kits. They get you going, but you will need additional items. Since your budget is set fairly high, you will have a multitude of options. I have stuck with single stage reloading, but if want to crank out rounds by the hundreds you might check out a Dillon progressive. Good luck!
  • Options
    rotarymetertecrotarymetertec Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have time and want exact loads skip the kits, Press rcbs rock chucker or = electronic dispenser and scale[press the button load a shell and the powder is ready for the next load Note scale needs to be on seperate table] Dies carbide if possible rcbs has a X die that reduces case retriming dillion has a nice primer swadger for military brass. Spray lube, lee hand primer combo with shell holders. Their are nice progressives [dillion #1] but if you don't use them alot and get in to a grove they can be a pain. RCBS has a 4x4 semi progressive user rotating. Can be used as a single stage or muti functions per stroke[ Never used my self ]I use several single stage press's and load a lot of max load for each gun. So I scale each load. Load 10 walk to my range try them adj when ready a 100 round of mag rifle takes less than 2hrs to prime powder and load. Great get away from the wife!!
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I own the following presses, in order of acquisition:
    Lee Anniversery O frame press
    Lee C frame press
    RCBS Rockchucker
    Lee hand press
    Lee Pro 1000
    Lee Classic Cast

Let me give you my honest assessment. The Lee hand press is a handy thing but nothing for serious reloading. Same with the C frame press. The Anniversery press is ok but the toggle link is weak and will break. The Pro 1000 is good for handgun, useless for rifle (quite literally; it doesn't have the clearence).

Which leaves us with the last two. The RCBS Rockchucker and the Lee Classic Cast press. Both are built like tanks. I can't see wearing either one out- ever. The Lee press finally rectified their earlier problems of cast aluminum and pot metal parts, springiness in linkages, etc. I can't see one advantage of one over the other unless it is Lee's spent primer disposal tube- better than the RCBS system of dumping them into a not-so-exact fitting cup and spilling them everywhere.

The Lee press is 1/2 the price of the RCBS.

Long story short: I'd buy the Lee Classic Cast press for a single stage.

Now if you want to go progressive, I'd look hard at the offerings by Hornady, RCBS, and Lyman. They are FAR cheaper than Dillon and work just as well. Don't get me wrong. I've loaded on Dillon presses. They are fine machines. I just think they are over-hyped and over-priced. Lee? Well they DO work, but they aren't that great.

Other stuff- an electric scale, dies by anyone really (I use Lee and RCBS mainly), good caliper, etc.
  • Options
    Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    I own the following presses, in order of acquisition:
    Lee Anniversery O frame press
    Lee C frame press
    RCBS Rockchucker
    Lee hand press
    Lee Pro 1000
    Lee Classic Cast

Let me give you my honest assessment. The Lee hand press is a handy thing but nothing for serious reloading. Same with the C frame press. The Anniversery press is ok but the toggle link is weak and will break. The Pro 1000 is good for handgun, useless for rifle (quite literally; it doesn't have the clearence).

Which leaves us with the last two. The RCBS Rockchucker and the Lee Classic Cast press. Both are built like tanks. I can't see wearing either one out- ever. The Lee press finally rectified their earlier problems of cast aluminum and pot metal parts, springiness in linkages, etc. I can't see one advantage of one over the other unless it is Lee's spent primer disposal tube- better than the RCBS system of dumping them into a not-so-exact fitting cup and spilling them everywhere.

The Lee press is 1/2 the price of the RCBS.

Long story short: I'd buy the Lee Classic Cast press for a single stage.

Now if you want to go progressive, I'd look hard at the offerings by Hornady, RCBS, and Lyman. They are FAR cheaper than Dillon and work just as well. Don't get me wrong. I've loaded on Dillon presses. They are fine machines. I just think they are over-hyped and over-priced. Lee? Well they DO work, but they aren't that great.

Other stuff- an electric scale, dies by anyone really (I use Lee and RCBS mainly), good caliper, etc.

I would agree pretty much, I have both Lee and RCBS, and honestly I don't think I made a good choice on the RCBS based on the price only. (It's quality is awesome, but the Lee Progressive presses and Classic press are excellent for the money.) The best places to put your money are in the dies, components, case trimmer, and a good electronic scale and digital caliper. Quality here counts more then the actual press itself in my opinion.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have used a Lee for over 20 years loading everything from 17 Rem to 300H&H magnum and about every caliber in between. Still going strong yet one of the cheapest priced presses.