In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lead smelter

vonbamavonbama Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
anyone ever used a plumbers gas lead melter for the purpose of melting tire weight lead? I have been looking for a better and bigger melting pot than a lee brand electric pot, and a person suggested this as a possible set-up. Any suggestions on melting lead this way would be appreciated. Also found out that the plumbers wholesale carries 5lb bars of lead, anyone ever use this?

Thanks,

keith

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Plumbers lead is dead soft lead OK for muzzle loaders but too soft for most other applications . The other way you can melt big amounts of lead is with a small vacuum cleaner that blows as well as sucks about 10 bricks and a cast iron dutch oven. make a small stand for the pot fill with charcoal and section of steel pipe for the air to blow through. you can melt lead in no time Caution solid lead in a pot is easy to control but liquid form will be MUCH harder to keep under control to pour in moulds try small amount first 50 pounds of HOT liquid is very hard to manage. of course do this out side.
  • Options
    vonbamavonbama Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the reply. I understand about large amounts of lead being hard to handle, do you recommend that i use a ladle to move the lead to the ingut molds? also use a ladle to skim the surface trash off of the liquid lead. Do you use any additives to held clean the lead, such as bees wax?

thanks for your help
    keith
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have used a product MARVALUX but this might not be correct spelling with good results also normal candle wax works . Yes a Ladle if big enough to fill the ingot mold with one pour is great. I used to set up and melt 500 pounds of wheel weights at one time would get anywhere between 430 and 475 pounds of good stuff had 4 ingot moulds of 4 cavity each . they will turn solid quickly but even after you dump them the ingot pile will stay too hot to touch for a long time were long sleeve shirt Jeans gloves and of course eye protection if you have even a drop of water in the new lead you are dumping in the pot it will splatter.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 50 pound pot that is used on a propane bunsen type burner, it came from a phone company employee. It melts 50 pounds of lead in a go fast hurry! The ladle holds about three ponds for pouring into the ingot molds.

Using Marvelux is OK but be V-E-R-Y cautious with it. It is a fantastic fluxing product for lead, but is extremely hygroscopic. The spoon I use with it gets preheated with a torch, EVERYTIME. Moisture will stay in the layer deposited on the spoon or ladle and make a "lead fairy" issue for you. Flying molten lead is no fun. BTDT.

The best way to get lead is to scrounge it, free or greatly reduced. You can buy from a lead wholesaler, shipped to your door, cheaper than buying it retail. Go to www.castboolits.gunloads.com and see the ad for lead in the header.

I use this 50 pound pot on a concrete pad, dead level, with only blue skies in the area.