In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pacific single stage press question

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
hello, i have a old single stage pacific reloader. no model number on it, just patent date. this is the only loader ive ever seen where the handle works on the upstroke. in other words when loading, the handle is worked from bottom to the top instead of bringing the handle down to load. what is the advantage or disadvantage of that? just have never seen any press that operates like that. its a solid , heavy press that looks to be a work horse. anyone have experience with these presses? was going to start reloading again. this loader was free. should i keep and use, or just get another rock chucker? will try to post pics. any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a single stage press years ago, on which I could re-arrange the toggle linkage and make it lift the ram on either the upstroke of the handle or the downstroke. Possibly on this one? I can't imagine any advantage in lifting the handle to lift the ram...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shootist, i tried changing it seeing that another similar model from pacific allowed you to do so. but it doesnt seem to work or i just dont know what im doing? thanks.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still using the Pacific that I got from my grandfather in "69", I'm pretty sure that it can't be changed, at least mine hasn't been changed. Nothing wrong with the way it operates. If you haven't done it already, look for a ram that you can change shell holders. With mine you had to change the ram when you changed calibers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    griz, dont have shell holders with it. assume that it takes seperate holders? am i wrong? if not what holders will work, rcbs, ect. ? also need primer tube. where can i find one? thanks
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about the primer tube, I use a hand primer. I found an old ram at a gunshow that would take the RCBS shell holders.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    grizz, im pretty sure that i got one that will take different holders. has the cut out like a rock chucker where you put the different holders in. just dont have one at this time to check. but appreciate your input. been a big help. thanks, ralph
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pacific originated the now-standard 7/8x14 die thread and the T-slot interchangeaboe shellholder. Your old press - 1950s, maybe - will likely take current shellholders.