In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

tamin the kick

edg1520edg1520 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
capnmidnight

can you tell any difference in the kick between the 2 different powders i've only loaded the hodgdon 4831 with hornaday 154 sst's and from factory remingtons its put a shotgun kick in it instead of that from your shoulder to your toes feeling i've just started this reloading venture but im not liken what i've felt so far and does anyone know anything about different recoil pads that might help thanx ed

Comments

• Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    http://www.limbsaver.com/2009/products/firearms/recoil_pads/precision.php#two

These are the best recoil pads I've seen. I put one on my 9.3x62 Mauser, and it's gentle as a lamb now.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooting technique has more bearing on felt recoil than a lot of other factors. In the first part of the last century the average solider was about 5'6" tall and was issued a 30-06 to go to war with.

Powder choice is not going to make a difference for a given bullet MV. The reaction of the gun, recoil, to the projectile is a function of opposite reaction and the jet effect of the gases leaving the barrel. If recoil is a problem with the caliber you are shooting a Harrels Muzzle brake, like the one mrbruce installed on my Encore .375H&H mag; will really cut recoil down. A secondary benifit to a muzzle brake is it works better as the MV increases.