In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

223 Reloading help needed

Hi Guys, I recently picked up an old model 70 223 from a buddy and am looking to reload it. I'll be using the same 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip that I use in my 22-250. My question is do I need small rifle or small rifle magnum primers if I try H335 or other ball type powders? I may also use IMR 4064 or IMR 4198. I would think logically that a small rifle primer would ignite everything in such a small case, but need verification from some of you seasoned pro's in this area. Thanks for any and all help. Mark

Comments

• BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small rifle is fine. I really like H335 but other powders that I have been happy with in 223 are.

IMR 4895
    BLC(2)
    VARGET
    TAC

I have never used anything but standard small rifle primers in 223.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a reloading manual? The answer is in there.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington #7 1/2 primer was developed specifically for cartridges of this class.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Standard primers are all you need in the .223 with any powder. Speer and some other labs have an in-house rule to use magnum primers with any ball/spherical powder, but such a rule is overkill in most instances. Small cases especially neither need nor benefit from magnums, and performance can actually be worse with too much primer energy.

My current favorite powder for the .223 is Ramshot TAC, but the little round is the nearest thing to omnivorous that a cartridge can be. Literally every powder from 4198 to 4895 will work in it - some better than others, but they'll all serve.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.