In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 colt loads

a1cwboya1cwboy Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
I have a uberti .45 colt I have been shooting cowboy loads thru it without any problems. Ive decided to start reloading and Im not sure about the load. I remember someone telling me when i purchased it not to shoot hot loads thru it. because it wasnt made as strong as a blackhawk for example. suggestions please

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Dennis,
    I would look at Trail Boss by IMR, it's made specialy for cowboy action shooting. If memory serves, 6 grains of Trail Boss under a 240 gr lead RNFP and a Winchester Large Pistol primer. Nice mild load.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try TITEGOUP under a 250 gr lead bullet. I shoot 5.9 gr thru a Vaquero. Also consult a manual to confirm this recipie.
  • Options
    wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a beretta laramie 45 lc. both of the powders mentioned are very good. trail-boss burns really clean and for cowboy loads it works really nice. u cant get the fps out of it like the titegroup, but`ll give you enough for cowboy shooting. also TB is very hard to accidently double charge with. the powder looks like little cheerios.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you for the advise, and your time.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using Hogdon clays powder at 4.5grs to 6.2grs. with either a 200gr lead bullet or a 250gr bullet. Burns clean. Can get a lot of loads out of 1lb of powder.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For cryin' out loud buy and read a reloading manual!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have and I am reading the info in the reloading manual! but isnt that what this forum is for. If you dont like questions why are you here? As a matter of fact I have three to read, so I can cross referance if need be. I just figured there might be some info here thats not in the books. quote:Originally posted by mbsams
    For cryin' out loud buy and read a reloading manual!
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In your manuals, you may find separate sections for the 45 Colt, depending on gun make and type. Your Uberti is a near-clone of the Colt SAA revolver, so stick to loads intended for that gun.

As an aside, all factory loads are created to not exceed pressures safe in the Colt SAA (the weakest of the various gun makes for that round), so if you load to factory velocity, you should be fine.

Generally, that equates to a 255-gr lead bullet at about 900 to 950 fps. That is no slouch load, BTW. It will shoot through most deer - lengthwise.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks to all!!
  • Options
    TommytornadoTommytornado Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like 8.0 grains of Unique for non-cowboy action shooting. For cowboy action shooting a load with Trail Boss, titegroup, or bullseye would get the nod from me.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my .45C revolvers is the copy of the Scoefield. Like Tommytornado, 8 gr. of Unique with the Lyman 454190 cast bullet is as far as I'll go in that gun. That load chronographs 845 fps from that gun's 7" barrel. It's a safe load and a lot of fun in that break-top gun!