In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

making your own primers ??

A few years back I was in an old gun shop.
The guy running it was talking about doom and gloom days to come.

He said he can make his own primers if need be by using strike any were match tips (white tip). use a small punch to flaten the primer back out.
I wasn't paying too much attention at the time ,
but he did say it was 1 tip for small and 2 for large,
dont remember what he said about sealing it or what holds the match tip in place. he seemed to know things and was a class 3 dealer.
had some nice tools in his tool box.[;)]

I did start saving all my spent primers after that. i have a pint bottle full.[:)]

Anyone ever here of doing this? if not think i will try to look him up for more info on this.

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    From an Army TM: It works, I tried it. IMHO, way too much work to save a dime. Keep in mind the compound is corrosive. Clean accordingly.

http://onlinebooks.110mb.com/tm 31-210/31-210-03-05.htm
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I posted this on another topic but it also applies to this one. FLINT LOCK rifle you can make your own BULLETS-POWER and you don't need no stinking primer[}:)][^][;)][:o)] That is one reason the flintlock stayed around so long the first time around with outdoorsman. Carry your powder in lead cans and when you use up one can of powder you melt the can for bullets[:D]
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is much easier to use paper roll caps like the old cap pistols use. About 1960 A friend and I each bought a .43 Spanish rolling block rifle from Ye Olde Hunter, a mail order house. Ammo was $5.00 per hundred. Most of it were duds. We would pry the Berdan primer out of the case, flatten the firing pin indentation,place a cap from a roll of cap pistol caps inside the primer and GENTLY push it back into the primer pocket. We were both 16 at the time and never considered the danger of priming a loaded cartridge. When we reloaded the once fired case, we drilled out the Berdan anvil and reprimed with shotgun primers. Bullets? no problem, Jake made a mold in the school metal shop. We made a couple of match fire pistols too, but that is another story. Eddie
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In an old loading book, I read about a guy splitting 30 carbine case heads with a jewelers' saw to salvage the primers to use in his 357 mag. Seems in a wartime situation he had unlimited access to 30 carbine ammo but no reloading primers. Got to be pretty desperate to go that route.