In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading 40 S&W with cast bullets

cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
any one reload the 40 S&W using cast lead bullets? what powder and ammount do you use? i was told there is a pressure problem if not loaded with correct supplies. i'll be happy for any help.
i have reloading books but none list cast bullets.

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lyman #401638 175gr win 231 4.3gr 796 fps 16,000 C.U.P.-5.8gr 970 fps 22.700 C.U.P.
  • Options
    TommytornadoTommytornado Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the 175 grain lee bullet mould with Unique powder (At the moment I can't remember the load but it was near max). I found the need to lube the heck out of them. I used animal fat/beeswax mix in the lube ring and Lee Alox lube on the rest of the bullet. If I didn't do that, then the barrel leaded badly. Once I got my lube down, accuracy was acceptable for me. At 15 yards kept 10 shots in the 8, 9, and 10 rings.
  • Options
    blueskiesblueskies Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As brier-49 stated, recipe from Lyman handbook. What powder do you want to use? I can't photo copy the pages for you due to copy right. Clays, bulleye, 231, universal, unique, power pistol, aa#5, n340, n350, silhouette, 3n37, true blue, hs-6, 800-x blue-dot. contact me at blueskies605@hotmail.com and I'll give you the charges: 150gr or 175 gr.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    quote:i was told there is a pressure problem if not loaded with correct supplies.

That would be an issue in ANY reloading

quote:i'll be happy for any help.
    i have reloading books but none list cast bullets.

A lyman or lee manual will have cast bullet loads.

You may be hearing about the "Glock kaboom" phenomenom.
    There have been some occurances with Glocks and other guns that don't have fully supported chambers. It can happen with jacketed or cast bullets but the cast ones seem to get more press.

All I shoot out of my Beretta 96 is cast bullets.