In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help

ok I have a set up that savage170 was super nice to get me started with which included a Powder Measure but will i need a scale also
and if so would i be better of getting a RCBS Model 5.10
I have a ton more reading to do but I have everything I need to reload my 1st 7-08
thanks
taz

Comments

• Options
    mudd_boggermudd_bogger Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a small problem that I cant figure out an need some help on it.What I have is I loaded up some bullets this weekend to try my new rifle out an to break in the barrel.Loaded up 20 rounds with the same powder charge,bullets,an primers.Went out to shoot them an all was goin well until I pulled the trigger an I heard the firing pinn go off then about a tenth of a second later the round went off.So I took the bolt a part an cleaned it all was good there put it back together an tried again.Shot 4 more rounds an then it happened again,an again.Took it all apart once more an nothing.Fired 8 more no problem then pulled the trigger an click nothing no bang.So I waited awhile like a hour before I opened the bolt the primer had been hit by the pin the same depth as the ones that shot an the delayed shots.Well tonight I pulled the bullet apart an found some interesting looking powder.The powder by the primer was in a ball the size of a pea 2 of them an hard had to break them in half to get them out of the case,an it looked a litle strange andthe primer had gone off.I cant explain.The powder was a new sealed can didnt smell funny the primers were new.

So does anyone have any ideas on this problem.If so please let me know.Thanks
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the primers were contaminated or a bad lot.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    neck size 20 cases, and prime them. Cycle these unloaded cases, firing them one after another. IF you experience FTF's during this excersize, the primers have been contaminated.

Did you possible get lube on some of the primers during seating??

were the cases wet inside, causing the powder to "ball together"?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Case lube on either primers or powder.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    a light load of slow powder and a sdt. primer with a lot of air space in the case can do this also.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone that has responded so far.As for the contamanated primers I dont realy think so because I us a pair of tweezers to handle the primers.I have to prime with my press because the cases will not fit into my priming tool.As for the powder I was using 116 grains of hogdon us869 starting load is 115 grains max is 121.I use hornady one shot for case lube.So Iguees that im going to call hogdons in the morning to see if they may of had a bad lot of powder.Well thanks again to everybody for the imput.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What caliber? What primer?
    That is a lot of very slow powder and probably wants a magnum primer. Federal magnum primers are some of the hottest.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    do you rinse the cases after sizing? I use boiling water and white vinegar with a dab of dish soap. The rinse with clean water and dry. This will remove any lube that makes it's way into the neck/case.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The rifle is a custom 30-378 weatherby mag.Ive been using cci magnum primers in this with retumbo up until this spring when i got the rifle built.So ive been wanting to find out what would work the best with the long barrel so Ive been playin with different powders an this being the first test loads an break in.
  • Options
    Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice from all. +1 here, I had this happen using H380 with magnum primers in a 264 winchester magnum and 120 gr. Nosler BT's. I was "fool'n around" experimenting with different powders when I ran into it. "Click/BANG" .... Powder did not fill the case well. I settled with IMR-4350. Thinking of trying 7828 SSC.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    there is NO WAY that 116grs of powder didn't fill the case enough to be well past the horizontle axis, therefore the primer flash definitely hit the powder with full radius. I am thinking the powder was contaminated somehow,...lube in the case is my first though.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mudd_bogger,

I want to try to keep this as short as possible in order that you get the most information without getting bored.

There are occasions when the cocking piece drags a tiny bit because of the lack of consistency of the springs or because of the bedding of the action or lack thereof. This curtails the power of the firing pin.

Since you don't specify a bullet used in this load, according to the manufacturers website, you could be using a compressed load to a significantly compressed load.

I have 3 additional reports of this same thing occurring with CCI primers and they are all within the last few days, using new powder and new CCI primers. Draw your own conclusions.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did forget to tell yahs what I was using for a bullet.Sorry.The bullets are 190 grain match kings seated .005 off.Thanks again.An Ive talked to the folks at hodgdon an they say that cci primers are not hot enuff to light that much ball powder,so they say that I should get some federal 215's or some wlrm primers,but thats like tring to find a needle in a hay stack right now with shortage of primers.Hope everyone has a great weekend,an happy shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense,.is this a case of new CCI primers?? or is there a lot number that we should be checking our boxes for??
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That much of any powder in such a huge case demands a lot of primer power, including both heat AND duration of burn. Spherical powders demand even more. Even with an extruded powder like Retumbo, you'll need a magnum primer.

Clearly, your CCI 250 magnums aren't enough for US869. Unless and until you can find some Winchester WLRM or Fed 215s, you'll have to switch to an easier-to-light powder or stop shooting that gun.

WARNING! Hangfires can sometimes result in an extreme pressure event that can destroy a gun and cause injury or worse. The mechanism that causes it is debatable, but the results are not.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC,

It was 3 different but current lots of CCI primers as judged by the codes. In every case, the loads worked as written when lit with Federal primers.

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruh-Roh...5000 of my new primers are CCI. Standard rifle though. Any word on those not firing?