In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

in need of load data for .222 remington

wrdog05wrdog05 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
I am reloading 53 grn. sierra matchking. I'm using ramshot x-terminator powder but cant find load data for that particular load. Or maybe a diff. powder recommendation. I've tried the 4895 and the burn rate is to slow for the bullet to stabilize.
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wrdog05,

Use the Ramshot Powder data guide found online on their website. It contains the load data for the 52 gr. SMK and it will be fine to start with the minimum load and work your way up through testing.

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

The data guide is a .pdf which can be printed off or saved to your hard drive.

Best.
  • Options
    William A HarlandWilliam A Harland Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wrdog05
    I am reloading 53 grn. sierra matchking. I'm using ramshot x-terminator powder but cant find load data for that particular load. Or maybe a diff. powder recommendation. I've tried the 4895 and the burn rate is to slow for the bullet to stabilize.
    I use a 52 grain jacketed bullet in my 222 Rem with IMR3031 powder 20.5 grain, 3095 f.p.s.
  • Options
    wild bunch guywild bunch guy Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    23.7 Benchmark, RP brass, Fed. 205M primers, 2.125 COL, 3150 MV, 9.4 SD from a bone stock Remington 722 with Burris 4.5 X 14 scope.
    Benchmark does leave what I would call carbon in the bore & it hard
    to clean out, lots of scrubbing.
    Best group is .560 at 200yds. with that load.

WBG

with 52 gr Sierra MK
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try some 4198 or BLC-2.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i appreciate the recommendations: Here is one of my own.

Hornady v-max 40grn, ramshot(x-terminator) powder 23.0 grns., cci primers, win brass, oal 2.125
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wrdog05

wrdog05,

It isn't the burn rate of the powder that will stabilize the bullet. It's the twist of the barrel. I shot a lot of 4895 through .222 cases pushing 45, 50, 52, and 55 gr. bullets out to speeds that stabilized them from a 1-14" twist barrel. I will say that you need 24.5-25 gr. of 4895. Which is about a case full. But it does work and work well.

My favorite load however for .222 Rem is 22.5 gr. of AA2015 behind a 50 gr. Sierra. In your case you might start at 21 gr. and work up. I would expect you end up near the 22-22.5 mark for that powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i appreciate that last post i just dont feel comfortable with that heavy load. I'm using ramshot x-terminator powder now using only 23 grn. charge and getting about 3000fps using 53 grn. sierra match king. Its a new load i tried today and was getting 3/4 in. shot groups at 100yds.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I may ask, what rifle are you shooting? Barrel length will make a difference as to what powder may be optimal from that case.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i'm shooting a savage mod. 840 24" barrel