In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-06 Sabot loads

je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
Anybody have any 30-06 loads for sabots to shoot 223 bullets? I've got some IMR 3031 or H322 that I have heard is good. Got a large box of sabots at a sale and thought I'd see how they shoot.

Comments

• Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I bought some of the Remington Accelerators in 30-06 years ago. Not accurate but when you hit a ground hog with a 55gn, 22 caliber bullet going close to 4000 fps they explode.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Go to www.eabco.com and put sabot data in the search, and download your caliber.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be sure to stand inside a barn with all the doors and windows closed when you "group" them. Because that's the only way to know where they all went. Oh, and ALWAYS use somebody else's chronograph!

Sabot loads are the best way I know to bring on hair pulling, head banging, dog kicking, furniture throwing and curse yelling. Enjoy!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the ideas, something to play with at the range
  • Options
    mariodavemariodave Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got some sabots from EAB two yaers ago to load for a friend that did not have a varmit gun.He had a ruger 77 in 30.06.We used IMR 3031 powder and 55 gr nosler ballistic tips.The load data from EAB covers about 500 feet FPS.The best group was with the bottom end load and it got worse as we increased it.With the light load it wasn't good enough for prarie dogs and that was the plan.Not much fun when you cant hit one at 150 yards.At the high end of the load data you would be lucky to hit the side of a barn from the inside.Try it yourself your resulte may be better.Invest in the case mouth belling tool.This will keep you from shaving plastic off the sabot.Also be careful when chambering rounds.His ruger liked to peel back the petals on the way in the pipe.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded some 3-4 years ago using info from the Accurate Arms manual. If I remember correctly it took about 20 or so rounds before the sabots started working half way decent. Since I don't like to leave the plastic fouling in the barrel, I gave up on the project rather than waste all that powder and primers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took 20 sabot rounds out to the range and with my pre 64 Winchester 70 working back from 50 to 25 yards managed to hit target once at 25 yards by a round flying sideways. Guess it's not meant to be
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Told ya so.

(Don't ya just HATE that? LOL!)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We did some playing with sabots when they first came out. We never did get any loads that we would call accurate. Oddly, however, several of the guns we were testing in were more accurate when the barrel was dirty than when it was clean.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    I also tried them when they first came out. They were so bad that I pulled the bullets to keep from wasting my components. Great idea, but doesn't work well.
  • Options
    aqua308aqua308 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by je2140
    Anybody have any 30-06 loads for sabots to shoot 223 bullets? I've got some IMR 3031 or H322 that I have heard is good. Got a large box of sabots at a sale and thought I'd see how they shoot.
    In the 30-06 I had the best luck with the nickel plated 62 grain bullets loaded with 50 grains of IMR 4064 shooting at a 300 yard target-(hit it) I think they release quicker from the Sabot than the 55 grain shorter copper bullets- I also used the 62 grain nickel bullets with 47 grains of IMR 3031 and 47 grains of IMR 3031 with a 50 grain FMC Remington bullet at shorter ranges- I was shooting over water and it seemed the 50-55 grain bullets released later(recovered farther away) A load for the scoped 30-30 proved accurate out to 150 yards (3 inch group) using 29 grains of IMR 4198 and a Remington FMC 50 grain bullet- The nose of the 50 grain FMC Remington is blunt not pointed like the 62 grain nickel bullet