In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder measure

Whats the best way to go?
Electronic or mechcanical?

Comments

• Options
    rocketman_0118rocketman_0118 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Scale and Dispenser 110 Volt. Has anyone had experience with this piece of equipment? I've always liked Hornady products and I'm looking to upgrade my loading operation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an old powder measure scale (Webster) that is oil dampened. I need to replace the oil and cannot find any information on what type of oil to use. Can anyone give me a suggestion?????

Thanks
    Terry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It would seem that powder measure that I was given is not all that accurate. Its a Herter's, that gives you some sense of age to the thing. Its in good shape though. I am using 700x, which is a flake powder.

How much does the accuracy of measurer depend on the powder? As far as mechanical, the powder measure that I have is fine. Should I look at getting another one?
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't really matter. I had a Herters oil-dampened scale once, and the instructions just said "oil." I used clean motor oil, but mineral oil might be better. Even olive oil or 3-in-One would work, though. The dampening paddle just needs to feel a bit of resistance from the oil's viscosity.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of those Herter scales, too. The oil would migrate out of the reservoir (capiliary attraction?) over time and leave a mess. Maybe it was because of that crackle finish. I finally just gave up on the oil and let it swing. I don't use it much anymore.