In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading .223 - neck expansion problem

odinsonodinson Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
I am new to reloading rifle ammo. So I am not completely in the dark when it come to reloading. The problem I am having is expanding the neck. I am using a RCBS two die full length set (p/n 11101). When I size the case the case enters the die, the primer pops out and then I remove the cse from the die. The neck is still too small for the bullet. In this case I am using .224" spitzer jacketed 45 gr. bullets if that helps. I will be sending the expander rod off to RCBS for repair on Monday. That's right it is now damaged as a result of a stuck case (never happened with pistol reloads)and I am frustrated. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean the bullet catches the case mouth? Did you chamfer the inside/outside of the case mouth after sizing? It is normal to have a significant amount of neck tension with rifle catridges. As to the stuck case, an adequate amount of case lube is required for bottlenecked rifle cases. I've found range pick up cases which are swelled to the point of not being resizeable. On some of these, the case can't be forced into the sizer die and leaves a sharp ring where it stops.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    first off,..stuck case is because of not enough or no lube at all.

Now,..what do you mean the neck is too small for a bullet??? The sized neck should always be several thousandths under the dia of the bullet. The pressure needed to seat the bullet is what is known as "neck tension". If the sized round mic's at lets say ..247", and the seated round neck mics at .250",..then the round has .003" neck tension.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What I mean is the bullet won't even start into the case mouth. I am used to being able to place the bullet into the case mouth at least enough to start it into the seating die. It seems as if the mouth has not expanded at all.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With bottleneck cases, there is NO mouth expansion (that's the biggest difference between BN and straight wall reloading), and the reason that BN's are done with only 2 dies. It's a combination of the case mouth CHAMFER (cut with a tool) and the bullet base radius/boattail angle that allows the bullet to seat without shaving.
    Simply set the bullet on top of the case mouth (it should sit there comfortably) and seat.
  • Options
    rotarymetertecrotarymetertec Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS has a case remover. Drill out the primer hole tap it and a spacer fits over the die then a allen screw threads in to remove the case. You must insure the case is completly lubed or you will get good/broke at removing stuck cases, as the 223 doesn't offer a lot of grip for pulling. Older neck sizers were not as tappered as the newer ones I've up graded and has helped $8 Dillion is the only one I know of that offers carbide dies, but they still need lube!!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The stuck case problem is one reason I went to LEE 223 dies for range brass. The decap/neck expander works as a knockout rod. Even with good lube occasionally a case rim fails and the case can be knocked out w/o all the drama of the RCBS remover.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    case mouths are NOT flared with bottleneck rifle cases like they are with pistol cases.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a Lee universal case expanding die. This will flare the mouth of the case, allowing a bullet to press fit into the case. This die can be adjusted for ALL cases, it sells for about $15. Buy a can of Hornady one shot case lube to eliminate the stuck case problem. Eddie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the advice. My real problem (maybe I don't understand what I am being told or I am not being clear) is that the bullet will not sit in the case mouth. Am I supposed to hold it in place while I press it into the die? I will check into the universal case expander.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by odinson
    Thanks for all the advice. My real problem (maybe I don't understand what I am being told or I am not being clear) is that the bullet will not sit in the case mouth. Am I supposed to hold it in place while I press it into the die?

The bullet does not sit in the case mouth (ON it yes, not in it)
    Balance it there with your fingers, if needed, until the bullet enters the die opening

quote: I will check into the universal case expander.

Unless your loading CAST LEAD bullets, don't bother as it's not needed.

Imperial or Hornady's "Unique" brand case lube are the 2 most highly rated lubes around. The spray lubes ("One Shot" etc) are the cause of more stuck case complaints than ALL other lubes combined.
    Lube only the body of the case, NOT the outside of the neck or shoulder area (unless you want to see what lube dents look like). Lubing the INSIDE of the case necks is sometimes helpfull.

BTW, I've only been reloading bottleneck cartridges since 1975, so I'm still fairly new to the game also [:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That clears it up. I have loaded about 40 rounds just as you have described. well it works but I am used to pistol reloading and the bullet just sits there. You have been reloading since '75 and are still fairly new to it? I guess it's a good thing I started now,then. Thanks for all the advice.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TG has it right. The bullet will "automatically" line up with the mouth once you guide it into the die. Just make sure the bottom is in the hole. Dont worry about the angle.As soon as the base seats ,with a little pressure, the rest will go right in. Deburr inside the case neck but don't go nuts and make it like a knife edge.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    i follow the bullet as far as my fingers can till it goes up into the die.

follow it too far and it will bite you[B)]

as for case lube a lot her like the spray type, i have been using the old nasty RCBS gel type forever, little nasty but never a stuck case in 30+ years and 1000s of rounds a year. my .02

now that i said that im sure i will stick one soon[:(]