In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

222 Remington Magnum

fishcofishco Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
I have a guy looking for 222 Remington Magnum Ammo, or reloading supplies. Help!

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure wish him luck. While Midway and others occasionally list brass for the 222 RemMag, it is almost never in stock. In dire need, one could possibly make it from 204 Ruger brass.

It cannot be safely made from regular 222 or 223 brass.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lock, Stock, and Barrel lists brass as "In Stock".
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Less than ideal situation, but is there any reason why you couldn't expand .223 brass to .243 neck diameter then size in .222 Mag. dies? You'd be a tad less than 1/10th inch short, but would they work in a pinch, or am I missing something here?
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCrosby: "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" suggests just that except they reccommend necking up to .25. But to me, it's a lot easier to type in lockstock.com and order up. Since I have rifles in .222, .222 mag. and .223, I like to keep the correct headstamps on my cases. It just seems to soothe my delicate sensibilities! (The cases are around $42/100.)
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,
    I'm with you on the proper headstamps, etc. Was mostly curious about the question of whether it could safely be done. Went through a brief spell of making my 7-08's out of .308 brass and finally did away with the resultant confusion. Still, it's nice to know these things can be done in a pinch.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That too-short neck is REALLY short when you make them from .223.

If you recall, the "parent" cartridge for the 204 was the 222 RemMag case, so necking it up would be a better deal. And unless the chamber was very badly cut, the reformed 222 wouldn't chamber in a 204 rifle.

Accidentally chambering a 223 round in your 222 RemMag because you have some 222 RM rounds stamped 223 would be extremely hazardous due to the greatly mis-matched headspace.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 20 round boxes of 50gr SP 222 Remington Magnum ammo by Sako. Not cheap stuff at all.
    Problem is contrary to what UPS says in their regulations my local UPS will not accept ammo for shipment from me so unless you are in East Central Florida not sure I am of much help.

Never mind, forget I posted, LOL

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    2-blade2-blade Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Cabelas,2 wk.ago I got a bag of 100 rounds of brass over the counter in Rapid City S.D and they still had some left,check them out on line.
  • Options
    viatorviator Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have about 200 rounds of .222 Remington Magnum new in box from Peters. They are "new in box" but probably thirty years old. I have been looking for someone who could use them. They seem to be in good shape. E-mail me in there is interest in them.