In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

checkering on target stock

swampthing36swampthing36 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
I am wondering why I rarely see checkering on a target rifle stock. I have a model 75 winchester that doesn't have any. My dad had a martini .22 target rifle which was bald as well. Anyone have a response?

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that way they "track" in the bags better,..no drag on the stock.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    that way they "track" in the bags better,..no drag on the stock.
    I imagine would track better in a shooting glove as well.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for benchrest, you really don't want to touch the gun much at all. A lot of guy shoot "free recoil" which means they barely get their cheek into position, then reach around inside the trigger guard and touch the 2oz trigger, it will recoil back and you simply shove it back fwd against the stop at the front of the rest.

I would think a glove would be better in f-class and military matches.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    for benchrest, you really don't want to touch the gun much at all. A lot of guy shoot "free recoil" which means they barely get their cheek into position, then reach around inside the trigger guard and touch the 2oz trigger, it will recoil back and you simply shove it back fwd against the stop at the front of the rest.

I would think a glove would be better in f-class and military matches.
    Interesting. Thanks for the information. I am looking at using it for the typical NRA leg matches; prone, sitting, kneeling, and off-hand. I appreciate your feedback!
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have read "Precision rifle shooting as a sport" or a similar writing, you understand that as a target shooter you are not actually gripping the rifle. Rather you are supporting the rifle with a "bridge of bone". You do not wish to grip the rifle as that uses muscles and muscle tension causes tremors. Tremors will cause your shot to fly as I am sure you are well aware.

Checkering is primarily an artistic touch for aesthetics, it does have some function for gripping on a hard recoiling hunting rifle.

Most target rifles are seen as a tool rather than as a work of art or beauty and the checkering would be superfluous.