In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

? about primer differences

Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
I am reloading 9mm and .40 S&W. I have Winchester WSP primers to use in both loads. I find recipes that call for CCI or REM or whatever primers and the note "do not substitute primers" in the recipe.

My question is, is there an actual safety issue with the substitution of small pistol primers, or is the caution "lawyer inspired"?

If there is an actual significant difference, which primers are similar enough that they can be safely substituted?

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bubba, Winchester primers are generally "hotter" than other kinds. It might well be hazardous to substitute them in a load that is already near maximum.

However, if you begin with the book "Start" loads using WW primers and work up in the usual way, you should be fine.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Not much difference in primers, from one manufacturer to another. I've used alot of different brands of primers. Small pistol, large pistol, small rifle, large rifle, each classification has to meet a certain criteria. As far as I'm concerned, it is perfectly safe to use any brand of primer with any listed loads, as long as it's the correct size for the cartridge.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when moving to a hotter primer, with a near max load, it is safe to back down maybe 5% and see what happens.

you can also do a search for primer charts or primer "brisance" to see the differences.

brisance= the intensity and the length of time, of the primer flash. Longer duration and intensity= higher brisance.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Not an issue until you reach max loads. Even then it may not be a problem but start low, work up if substituting components.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. [:)]