In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

DPMS LR-308 handloads

tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
I have a DPMS LR-308, with the heavy stainless fluted bull barrel. With the Federal factory match ammo, of the 175 gr. MKHPBT, it is extremely accurate.

I started handloading for it, and am using a 175 grain Sierra MKHPBT, Federal Match Magnum primer, and 48 grains of W760. The gun functions OK, but it seems that the rifle is not quite as accurate with these as it was with the factory ammo. I am thinking that the W760 is a little to slow burning for good consistancy. Should I be using a faster powder like W748?

JustC, nononsense, and sandwarrior...your input please...

Best

Comments

• Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every barrel is different even for the same type on the same type of gun so finding that perfect load may take some searching.

I would not start with W760 for a 308 load personally.

748 would be a better choice than 760, IMO but I would also try IMR and/or Hogdon 4895, Varget (Not magnum primers for those) as well as reloader-15 (use Magnum LRM for this and 748)

748 would be my last choice of the 4 and 760 I doubt I would consider at all.

IMO

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    GUTSSGUTSS Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently switched to 175 Sierra BTHP's from 168's. I worked up a few loads. Here is some of the loads I worked up for my LR.308. Of course you should always consult your reloading manual first. These are five shot groups at 100 meters.
    The flyer in this group was all me.[:I]
    023.jpg
    019.jpg
    022-2.jpg
    020.jpg
    026.jpg
    025.jpg
    018-1.jpg
    I think I * a couple in this group.
    021.jpg
    024.jpg
    017-1.jpg
    These loads were made with third fired GMM brass and CCI#34 primers, Trimmed to 2.015" and no neck work.